Not sure whats going on here.. possible eye worms?

Sugarwags

Chirping
Sep 3, 2019
I bought this rooster months ago and I noticed right away his eyes were more moist looking but nothing to raise any red flags. I just took a mental note and have been watching him. He came from a very reputable npip breeder and I havent added any new chickens since him. About a day ago I noticed his eyes looked weirder so tonight we had the time to really look at him. He had something in the corner of his eye but it disappeared when I tried wipe it away thinking it was from the shavings in the coop. His face doesnt feel swollen but after I tried to wipe the thing away his eyes got bubbly. PLEASE HELP. I'm calling the vet tomorrow but I'm low key freaking out. Hes the only one of the 3 that look like this. No sneezing or discharge from his face other than the eyes

Attachments

• 20201101_170957.jpg
    20201101_170957.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20201101_170755.jpg
    20201101_170755.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20201101_170746.jpg
    20201101_170746.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 27
It almost looks like his third eyelids are inflamed or something. Tagging some knowledgeable help
@Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive @Overo Mare

Yes both eyes are like this. 2 of those 3 pictures are from both sides and then the third picture is what was there before I tried to lightly wipe it away thinking it was a shaving. And the bubbles didnt appear till after I did that. Do you think it could be MG or Coryza or something like that? I hope not 😬😭 I lightly felt his face and it doesnt feel swollen and there no other symptoms. I'm so stressed about this. Morning cant come soon enough to be able to call the vet

Edit because I just saw your edit.. I know! I love his face. I hope it's something easily treatable. Also the wierd looking thing disappeared into his eye, not out of his eye

Last edited:
If there are no other symptoms, I'd try to not worry too much right now. Of course I know that much easier said than done. Usually with MG and coryza, there are more symptoms. How old is he?

Also, did you ask the person you purchased him from about this? I believe I'd send them these pictures and ask if they noticed this, did anything to treat, or if any other birds have experienced the same.

Please don't panic. This isn't likely life threatening. Eye worms can be ruled out by exerting slight pressure beside the eye. Eye worms reside just behind the eyeball and will easily pop out from the slightest pressure. Eye worms are not a common affliction, though.

More likely he has a slight sinus infection or a minor eye infection. Flushing the eye with saline eye wash and then applying twice a day Neosporin or the eye antibiotic Terramycin (much more expensive than Neosporin) will clear it right up.

MG can cause bubbles and inflammed conjunctiva (pinkeye.) It can be a first sign of MG. You could try to get some testing with a swab to his tracheal secretions. Your vet or state vet might be of help, and there is a national lab called Zoologix that will do pcr testing for multiple respiratory diseases, but they are more expensive. Here is some info about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Last edited:
If there are no other symptoms, I'd try to not worry too much right now. Of course I know that much easier said than done. Usually with MG and coryza, there are more symptoms. How old is he?

He has no other symptoms as of right now and hasnt been wierd at all. Crowing a lot and being his normal jerk self. Oh man um I bought my girls as couple day old babies in late march and he was in that batch but I didnt get him till about 3 months ago so about 7 or 8 months old

Please don't panic. This isn't likely life threatening. Eye worms can be ruled out by exerting slight pressure beside the eye. Eye worms reside just behind the eyeball and will easily pop out from the slightest pressure. Eye worms are not a common affliction, though.

More likely he has a slight sinus infection or a minor eye infection. Flushing the eye with saline eye wash and then applying twice a day Neosporin or the ocular eye antibiotic Terramycin (much more expensive than Neosporin) will clear it right up.
I'm trying not to panic. Hes not the friendliest guy so it was a whole ordeal to catch him earlier. I only started thinking eye worms because of the thing in the third picture and how it disappeared into his eye. Can I make my own saline eye wash? I've never done that before.. and with the neosporin.. just the regular without pain relief kind? Also with a sinus infection or eye infection is that the stuff that stays with them for life and is very contagious?

Back
Top Bottom