not sure what's going on

KDchickenmomma

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 29, 2012
I have 3 hens and 1 rooster, they are about 10 months old.

When I went out to let the chickens out this morning, one of my hens were acting funny. She was lying on her side on the bottom of the coop. Her legs were curled up. The other 3 birds were standing over her. When I opened the door the others ran out of the house. I was feeding them some bread and she didn't move. I offered her a peice and she ate it, but didn't get up. I reached in to lift her. She acted like her legs were stiff but she did stand and walked out of the house. I noticed dried stool with fresh liquid stool running down her butt. I came into the house and looked up her symptoms on BYC. I thought it sounded like she may be "egg bound". When I went back outside she was acting like normal. Walking in the run and scratching. I brought her in the house anyway and gave her a warm bath (which she seemed to enjoy). I now have her in a small cage in the house to monitor her. Any suggestions?

Seems like you've done everything right so far. I suggest you keep a VERY close eye on her. Make sure to check her vent frequently; we had a prolapse with one of our hens. Certainly an experience I would try my hardest to avoid.

Something is definately wrong. She is still lying in her coop. I seperated her from the others and gave her another warm bath. Her vent appears clear. If she is not better in the morning we are going to the avian vet.

Place an egg in front of her and see if she tucks it under. If she doesn't, worm her and dust her for parasites. Just trying to rule out obvious things first.

Unfortunately, we lost her before we could get to the vet. I think she was egg bound. None of the other hens seem ill.

Back
Top Bottom