Notifying neighbors

keeks&kiwimom

Songster
Mar 6, 2018
Central Oregon
I've read several articles/posts (after buying chicks) suggesting to do the neighborly thing by letting your neighbors know you are planning on raising chickens. I just bought a house (in January) on 1.4 acres in a rural area. We do not have CC&R's and I did check with the county to make sure that we were allowed to have chickens and there response was our county is "a right to farm" county. With that being said i thought i was all good. I went out and bought 5 chicks. Should I still let the neighbors know? Honestly i really don't want to. Our neighbors weren't so warm and fuzzy when we first moved in and i tried to strike up a conversation with them so I have no idea how to even bring it up. Our property is completely fenced in and i don't plan on letting the chickens free range outside of there run unless I am out there so should I still notify the neighbors? All suggestions are welcome!:wee

You're legal, fenced in, planning on keeping them on your property. If they weren't overly friendly to begin with, I wouldn't poke that bear. I would suggest you put their coop/run as far from their house as possible, though. If you bought pullets, they shouldn't have too much to complain about.

You're legal, fenced in, planning on keeping them on your property. If they weren't overly friendly to begin with, I wouldn't poke that bear. I would suggest you put their coop/run as far from their house as possible, though. If you bought pullets, they shouldn't have too much to complain about.
Thank you! That's a great suggestion. I will make sure to put the coop/run far away from all of them. I'm hoping they are all pullets, the feed store said they are 95% sure they were. I guess we shall wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom