November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Would like to join if that's ok. I have 12 blrw, 3 salmon favorelles, and 10 serema (shipped) then I have 12 crested Swedish flower, 12 serema and 15 paint silkies ( local ) today is day 7 and they are all doing great except for the 10 shipped Serena's air cells were totally all over the place. I knew when I receive them they would not grow cause I ordered 28 last month and all the air cells were all over the place and I only got two that hatched. My hatch day is Oct 4 th

Would like to join if that's ok. I have 12 blrw, 3 salmon favorelles, and 10 serema (shipped) then I have 12 crested Swedish flower, 12 serema and 15 paint silkies ( local ) today is day 7 and they are all doing great except for the 10 shipped Serena's air cells were totally all over the place. I knew when I receive them they would not grow cause I ordered 28 last month and all the air cells were all over the place and I only got two that hatched. My hatch day is Oct 4 th

wee.gif

I'm kinda jealous
tongue.gif

but have so many little ones right now and I want them to feather before the cold weather

im just trying to get some chickens that will be laying next spring lol so hatching bunches and bunches (cause my luck i'll hatch mainly roos) think this will be the end thou until i know all are healhy
im having to cull my whole flock due to illness and i want a healthy flock. (40+ chickens)
hope the cull will purge it out and will be the end of it.

Thanks hiedisgran will try lol I truely am useless with pc we are so far out reception is poor and my laptop is old. Phone is heaps easier to use. Lol naightengale always happens to me like that so I end up doubling the amount of eggs and then even more roos but freezer always full so I am not complaining.

Hello everyone! I'd like to join the fun...I set 40 eggs Wednesday night - due date Oct. 9. This is a mixed hatch with LF Cochins and Silkies. 12 Cochins; 4 barred, 3 SGL, 3 buff, 2 BBS. 28 Silkies; 10 white, 10 Black, 5 buff, 3 BBS. I'm so excited! The SGL Cochins are gold or silver laced and I'm praying for silver..

This is my second hatch. My first hatch was terrible! I live in a log house and the logs absorb moisture like crazy. I had an awful time keeping the humidity up during lockdown and only hatched 11 of 42! This time I've placed the bator in the basement far, far, away from any logs. So far the temp and RH are right where they should be and stable. My fingers are crossed for a better result this time!

I currently have seven 17 wk, and two 10 wk old Cochins. My first hatch yielded my older chicks and like I said it was a bad hatch...I ended up with 6 Roos and only 1 hen! The two younger birds are pullets I bought to make up for what I didn't hatch. I'm REALLY hoping for a better roo/hen ratio this hatch.

Good luck everyone! :)

Last edited:
Not to sure, although they were millies and from the research i have done since, they were not that impressively marked, or stature. Therefore one can only assume she was trying to make a jack of me. And mind you, having no cash on me at the time, and no access to EFT was the only reason my impulsiveness did not get the better of me.

I am also pleased that the eggs i have ended up with are B mottle and Lav, as i personally am not a big fan of the mille colour.
there is a breeder up the border nsw who has milles she would not have much for sale now but early next year if you still looking for good milles she would have some great birds at excellent prices.she doesnt do eggs but she also has a great line of bantam sussex and large corronation sussex. i have black mottles in fact i am entering one in a show next month only a local ag show and she is going in a junior class in my daughters name i am entering a silver seabright hen

just got done modifying the junkubator#1 it now will hold 6 dozen eggs.
yay!!
now to get it back to temp so i can put the eggs back in....(put them in junkubator#2 during revamp of #1) #2 is my hatcher but the eggs in there arent due till monday so i figured itd be safe.
so once #1 is back up to temp i will be putting those 26 back and adding the new 30!!
probly not going to be candling much with these batches since they are all dark eggs.
anyone have tipps for candling dark shells??

just got done modifying the junkubator#1 it now will hold 6 dozen eggs.
yay!! 
now to get it back to temp so i can put the eggs back in....(put them in junkubator#2 during revamp of #1) #2 is my hatcher but the eggs in there arent due till monday so i figured itd be safe. 
so once #1 is back up to temp i will be putting those 26 back and adding the new 30!!
probly not going to be candling much with these batches since they are all dark eggs. 
anyone have tipps for candling dark shells??

Get a really bright led flashlight, like 200+ lumens. That's what I have and I've even successfully candled marans eggs with ir.

Just set 17 eggs today. I went to 23 days on my first attempt, which I finally gave up on today. No hatches. I had to separate periods during incubation where the temperature spiked. I cracked the eggs to find that most of them appeared to have stopped developing at the same time, so I'm guessing the temp did it. I had 3 viable candidates at the end that seemed to be growing well, but they never hatched. Here's to better luck this go 'round.

My rooster is a plain white EE (handsome fella). The eggs I'm setting are from a Partridge Cochin [5] (who knows if they are fertile, with all her puffy feathers), a Blue Copper Maran [2], a Brown Leghorn [2], and an Easter Egger [8].

I'm wondering if these offspring will get their egg color from the roo or the hen? Or is it a mixture of the two?

Good luck everybody! See you again October 14th!

Back
Top Bottom