now avian pox- ugh! What else?!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stephkyles, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Stephkyles

Stephkyles Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2014
    After researching- it seems my girls have avian pox. Pic below in comments. This is my first flock and I've been thru the ringer with them- we've had cocci issues, sinus infections, predator issues, and now this, not too mention other "unknown causes" of death of other chicks. I just feel defeated. I feel like I've given them every opportunity to live the healthiest lives possible... Is this normal or am I doing something wrong??[​IMG]

2. Stephkyles

May 2, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yep, fowl pox. It'll go away on its own in a month or so.

4. Deepfriedbeauty

Deepfriedbeauty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Coop
    My flock has also gotten fowl pox. It started about two weeks ago. The first to show signs was Nannette. Nannette's head was all covered in blood this morning. I carried her in and cleaned her up the best one can clean up a chicken that is living. I put Vetricin on all her spots. I think the pox got irritated. The base of her comb is really bad. It looks like a gash. I isolated her so the others will not peck at her bloody spots. Is there more that can be done? Is there something that can prevent the bleeding from happening to the others?

5. Stephkyles

May 2, 2014
    I haven't done anything to them but their sores aren't that bad.... They now have sores on their legs- is that something you experienced?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I had one chicken and one pigeon with it on the legs, both recovered. What I read was they can get the sores on any exposed skin, so keep an eye on their vents, too.

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  7. Deepfriedbeauty

Deepfriedbeauty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Coop
    My local feed store recommended this medicine. It worked like magic! The bleeding stopped immediately and the sores healed up in less than a week![​IMG]

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by