number of chickens in a 8x8 coop

Quote:
That's not bad. The reason I do mine that way is they have plenty of room to range and basically just sleep and lay in the coop. Other than that, they're almost never in there. SOOOO, that being said...if that's what you're doing too, I see no issue with 20 in an 8x8, but I honestly wouldn't go more than that. For 18 I'd say it would be adequate for those circumstances.

Thanks for the replies. I have been reading messages on here for almost a year now and just signed up. I love backyardchickens. There are so many helpful people on here.

Quote:
Well of course we are what did you expect
big_smile.png
Glad we could help
wink.png
I love the site too!

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Rule of thumb is minimum 4 sq ft/chook if standard size. So 16 is max for good health/contentment/steady laying. If you have bad winters, I would cut that back to no more than 12 since they will be inside so much. That is when trouble begins in an otherwise peaceful flock.
wink.png

After stopping at lowes and looking at their storage building I have already decided to go with a 10x10 coop for no more than 20 chickens. The run will probably be 20x16. Is this enough room for 2 roosters to live together?

Back
Top Bottom