Number of chicks/ens you really plan on having... really..

My wife and I ordered our first 12 yesterday, will be here week of april 25th... leave in a rural town so should not be a problem... have not checked with the town yet... so who knows.. well 12 is a good start... went to the local Agway... was only going to get 8... they have a 12 minimum...shucks
big_smile.png
also ordered 2 pullets... they will arive june 20- wife did not want to wait to get eggs
hmm.png
, can't wait, but have not got anything for them yet... so the fun begins.....
lol.png

Last edited:
Well I only wanted three.

I got six to start because Tractor Supply had that stupid minimum purchase policy.

Those six got mauled by the dog or sold.

So I got 12 more, except they sent 17.

Rehomed/sold 9 of those.

Which leaves me with 8.

But I have 8 more ordered for next month.

No telling how many packing peanuts will come with that.

But still, I'll be up at 16, minimum.

Six of those are bantams, but my coop still needs expanding and remodeling. I think it can fit them all, if I get rid of the nesting boxes along the back and add more perches.

I am not allowed to go to any of the three local feed stores and/or the Tractor Supply. My children know I am not trustworthy. They want a nice Spring Break, without peeping chicks in the new travel trailer.

Ideally, I would have a flock of half a dozen excellent egg layers. I have six kids, they eat a lot of eggs. But I also love bantams, just for their cocky little attitudes and diminutive size. I'd love to have some show quality OEGBs. Mine are definitely not show quality, although they're amusing.

So, I guess I'd say that I'd like two flocks-- one for food and one for fun. I just need some LAND to put them all on! My neighbors aren't crazy about my roosters . . . .

I started out with four RIR but lost one. Now I have 8 silkies and i'm going to breed those suckers. But if i had the money, i'd have 75-100 chickens preferably. My perfect set up would be, 15 silkies, 25 or 30 layers, 30 boilers, and the rest just rare breeds.

Well, I live out in the county on about an acre, so no limits there! The only limits are on how well I can keep it all together
tongue.png
. As of right now, I am very new to this. I was planning on 3 or 4 chickens, which means I now have 7 banties in my brooder. Keeping all the girls, rehoming the boys (I have one suspected roo right now, he is just very pushy lol) and 10 more pullets on the way (4 BB and 6 EE). May also be getting 5 SLW from a fellow BYCer. I went from building my coop for 10 to have extra room, to building a coop for at least 20, and a separate smaller coop for the banties
smile.png
. Fiance doesnt care as long as he doesnt get woken up by any roos (lol).

Wow.

chickens..... no one can prove I have chickens, those are just decoys... what are you talking about..

OK so I give... we have
4 colombian plymouth rock chicks... 10 days old

we have on order...
2 austrolorp
2 Americaunas
2 Brahmas
2 delaware
2 polish
2 silkies (which I hope to get this weekend)
2 egyption favolas (spelling... which I hope to get this weekend)
2 RIR
2 Wyandottes

are we sensing a theme.... we want heritage layers but as an after thought I may end up asking to 3 of each... better odds of hens (I hope)

3 Bourbon Red turkeys because they are so cool to look at
12 regular run turkeys
50 (or so) meaties

We are looking at 3 African Grey Geese and a few muscovey ducks but I am hoping to put that off until next year.

I heard the other day that the farm store is having two chick days a month apart... these numbers may change!
idunno.gif

My coop can house 6 standards comfortably. I planned on 4 hens through the winter, 1 was mean, so I have 3. I planned on getting 4 more hens in the spring and getting rid of one of my bantams, but both bantams are being kinda snotty, and are behind on 'rent' so I may get rid of both of them. Then I'm having a hard time finding Dorking eggs, so I may only add 3, which will give me a flock of 4 total. I don't really NEED more, and I want my girls to have lots of room through our long cold winters, so I'll be happy with 4.

Back
Top Bottom