Nurses, doctors, question about scar

key west chick

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Gainesville, GA
For anyone in the medical field, or maybe just know, what can I do for a scar thats 6 months old? I had a hysterectomy about 6 months ago and still have some areas that the scar is thick and raised. I didn't have any stitches, just staples that were removed 2 days after surgery. Some areas are flat and are getting lighter in color but some are not. Anything I can put on it? I looked at the scar stuff at the grocery store but Its 20 bucks and my scar doesn't bother me that much, kinda a war wound in a way. Any ideas?

If you heal keloid like I do, it's gonna always be sorta bumpy and lumpy. The only thing that will really cure it is plastic surgery. I rather like my throat to belly button seam...

I have a keloid scar on my throat from having my thyroid removed six years ago. It's raised and used to be really red, but has lightened over the years. I have tried everything, such as cremes and patches on it and even have had several injections in it. Nothing helped. I was told it would need plastic surgery to be fixed, however insurance will not cover it because it is considered cosmetic. I'm so used to it know I hardly notice it. People ask about it and I make up some wild story about it. It's funny. Good luck.

The high dollar scar stuff does pretty good, but you can get Vit E capsules and poke a hole in them and rub the vitamin E on the scar, or cocoa butter too. The Vit E does pretty good though.

Yea, I might try the vit E. Like I said, its really no biggy, not like I'm a 20 something bikini model. It's not even that long and its down pretty low. I just wondered if I could do anything before it got too old to mess with. I was lucky and didn't get many stretch marks with my pregnancy but this is different.

http://www.mederma.com/

Check
this stuff out, you can find it at your pharmacy, over the counter, but it is a bit pricy, about $30, so be warned.

My son had open heart surgery at 4 weeks old and 10 months old, and the doctors had us start to put this on as soon as it healed, but they say it even helps VERY old scars as well. I have to tell you, his scar is AWESOME!!! It is a thin light, flat line and looks great. When he was 3 years old he got a deep cut on his face, stitches, and I used Mederma again. This scar is INVISIBLE!

Seriously, it is worth every cent! Good luck!

normally they smooth out over time and fade to white. But if it looks like it is getting larger and more raised then yeah maybe it is keloid formation. I would give it longer than 6 mo but like any advice , it is always best to ask your doc if you are concerned. I got plenty of scars and find they each have their own characteristics depending on how a particular portion healed with the scar formation. Some are still slightly raised and probobly always will be. ErinM

Back
Top Bottom