Nurture Right 360 temp fluctuating

To say a game is"game" means it will continue to fight till it or the opponent dies even while being cut or stabbed by a knife or gaff attached over its natural spur. Gamefowl is another term for fighting chickens. If someone doesn't have the means to house them individually even the hens or can't just have pairs it will end up in a bloodbath eventually. And no you can't stop what has been bred I yo them for thousands of years . No amount of hugs and talking to will do it. That's why games get a bad rap. If you can't house them correctly then don't get any
Yikes - good info here for @Coop-de-doop .

I believe my sons are "Game Children". Always fighting to the death.

so what then is the reason for the "fowl" or "gamefowl" distinction? What makes them different than a chicken?
Archaically, domestic chickens and their ancestors were called “fowl” as if that was the name of their species. We have a tendency to use the term “fowl” to mean any bird. But historically “fowl” usually meant only domesticated birds and specifically chickens, guineas, and ducks/geese.

Thus the reason old books (even from the BC era) divided “fowl” into jungle fowl, game fowl, domestic fowl (all three referring to chickens both wild and tame), then African fowl (guineas), pea fowl, and water fowl (geese and ducks). Yes, the ancients were very aware that chickens were tamed from the jungle fowl of India.

Today the archaic term “fowl” still used for game fowl to distinguish them from domestic coop chickens. Game fowl, historically used for cock fighting, are a genetic intermediary between jungle fowl and domestic coop chickens. They’re a lot close to being jungle fowl than out modern coop breeds.

All game fowl in the world can be divided into 2 groups; the straight combed “bankivoids” which are those game fowl that retain a strong jungle fowl look, and the “oriental” game fowl, which have a very prehistoric look. All modern coop chickens have been derived from selective breeding or crossing between those two game fowl groups.

The Harold Brown greys and Nesmiths are bloodlines of American gamefowl. American gamefowl are generally bankivoid gamefowl, but many American bloodlines have had oriental game fowl mixed in over the past 2 centuries at different points. Which is common to many bankivoid breeds all over the world. The orientals carry a particularly aggressive disposition and defined physique that make small amounts of their genetics desirable in bankivoid lines.

Archaically, domestic chickens and their ancestors were called “fowl” as if that was the name of their species. We have a tendency to use the term “fowl” to mean any bird. But historically “fowl” usually meant only domesticated birds and specifically chickens, guineas, and ducks/geese.

Thus the reason old books (even from the BC era) divided “fowl” into jungle fowl, game fowl, domestic fowl (all three referring to chickens both wild and tame), then African fowl (guineas), pea fowl, and water fowl (geese and ducks). Yes, the ancients were very aware that chickens were tamed from the jungle fowl of India.

Today the archaic term “fowl” still used for game fowl to distinguish them from domestic coop chickens. Game fowl, historically used for cock fighting, are a genetic intermediary between jungle fowl and domestic coop chickens. They’re a lot close to being jungle fowl than out modern coop breeds.

All game fowl in the world can be divided into 2 groups; the straight combed “bankivoids” which are those game fowl that retain a strong jungle fowl look, and the “oriental” game fowl, which have a very prehistoric look. All modern coop chickens have been derived from selective breeding or crossing between those two game fowl groups.

The Harold Brown greys and Nesmiths are bloodlines of American gamefowl. American gamefowl are generally bankivoid gamefowl, but many American bloodlines have had oriental game fowl mixed in over the past 2 centuries at different points. Which is common to many bankivoid breeds all over the world. The orientals carry a particularly aggressive disposition and defined physique that make small amounts of their genetics desirable in bankivoid lines.
Gosh, thank you for taking the time on this one. I really appreciate it.

So would the American gamefowl be able to be housed as a normal chicken would? Or would special considerations still need to be taken?

Gosh, thank you for taking the time on this one. I really appreciate it.

So would the American gamefowl be able to be housed as a normal chicken would? Or would special considerations still need to be taken?
Mature American gamefowl roosters cannot be kept together under any circumstances. They will fight to the point of serious injury and death. This it true whether they’re together in a coop or free range. A mature gamefowl rooster may tolerate younger stags that submit to him. A “stag” is a gamefowl cockerel up to 18 months old. A gamefowl rooster doesn’t enter maturity until after their 18 month mark. Gamefowl stags will be aggressive with each other and must be separated depending on bloodline and manner by which they’re raised. When raised under a mature gamefowl cock, stags have a tendency to be more mellow. If separated early, they may fight to the death when reintroduced even at a younger age.

American gamefowl hens can be kept in flocks in coops or free range, but may turn aggressive with one another once they have chicks.

In my opinion, the best way to raise American gamefowl is to let them free range 24/7 and have one mature cock that oversees a flock of up to 20 hens. But if that’s not practical for your property, they’ll live fine in a coop. Just keep one rooster and separate out hens with bitties.

The term game is used incorrectly alot. It does not mean simply that a chicken will fight. They all do that

There's a really big difference though. One is till one or both die, while the other is mostly till the opponent backs down. There's a reason bachelor flocks don't work at all with gamefowl while they do sometimes with "regular" roosters. I might have worded this wrong, but when I say "fight" I mean actual fighting, not skwabbling. All birds "fight", but only when there's something to gain. Gamefowl do it whatever the case may be

Hey all!
I have a Nurture Right 360 incubator that I'm getting prepped for some eggs I should be receiving next week. However, I am getting a LOT of temperature fluctuation.
I left it this morning and my Govee was reading 100.0, I checked my Govee in an hour ish and it was at 100.7 so I had my bf lower the incubator temp by .5 before he left.
It was stable at 99.9 for another hour and a half before suddenly dropping to 97.5.

Can anyone offer some tips for keeping the temp from going crazy? It's on a desk, with the only window in the room closed, and behind a screen to keep the sun from cooking it.
For what it's worth, I have a Chinese Incubator that does the same thing. The temp is like a yoyo but as long as I watch it, I can manage to keep the temp between 99.1 and 100. I've come to look at averages more now, as I can't rely on a steady temperature. I've hatched out two sets of eggs in this incubator now. The first was 30 eggs from Myshirefarm.com and I managed to hatch out 27 of those eggs. This last time, I set 16 eggs from my own birds and hatched 15 of those, having to cull one due to an egg injury. So, I'm not too sure that a fixed temperature is all that big of an issue. so far, average temp of 99.5 is working for me.

Holy cow all the game fowl info is so good to know!! Even hens are aggressive? Bummer. I don’t want to raise fighting birds 😩

Holy cow all the game fowl info is so good to know!! Even hens are aggressive? Bummer. I don’t want to raise fighting birds 😩
Think of them as chickens in natural state before man did much to corrupt them. The primary changes man made to gamefowl from wild junglefowl was cementing year-round breeding and selecting roosters that will endure the pain of prolonged fights with artificial spurs. Other than those changes, gamefowl are tamed-up wild animals. Docility among chickens is very unnatural.

Back
Top Bottom