Nutiny!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by debilorrah, Sep 6, 2008.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We moved our 2 week old chicks from a rabbit cage toa large box today. This evening, I found all six of them in the same spot pecking their little hearts away at the same spot. Is this normal???

2. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    I noticed with ours when one starts on something the rest join in. I watch them peck at nothing as a group all the time. So I would say - NORMAL [​IMG]

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree it's normal. If one chick/chicken thinks something is 'really cool', the others often join in just to make sure they aren't missing anything. [​IMG]

4. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

It's completely normal. Our new babies are in a giant cardboard box right now. They found a piece of cardboard sticking out and all 11 of them have been pecking at it for a few days now. They all seem to be followers. One starts something and they all join in. Goofy chickens!! [​IMG]

Sonja

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Goofy is right! I have one chick named Hannibal because everytime I pick it up it pecks away at me like it hasn't eaten since birth.

6. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    As everyone else said, completely normal. My chicks got hay today and they're currently running back and forth between pecking spots even though they SHOULD be sleeping. [​IMG]

7. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Cute!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree too. It's normal, "monkey see monkey do".

9. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Oh look! A spot! Peck it!

As others have said, monkey see, monkey do. The first night I put mine in their coop they all went for a spot on the wall, I think I've got a picture of it.....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by