NY chicken lover!!!!

I've taken in two bunnies. (Minlops) My DD's fiancee has them so spoiled the get out and come to you. They're supposed to be two females but I have my suspicions about the Brown one. What I will do I don't know as family will be attached to them.
th.gif
Lord why do I get myself into these things?
he.gif

Deprecating?  

I've read where folks divide their flocks up into breeding pens, then putting them out together again after the eggs are collected or all the chicks are hatched. If you looking to improve your SOP it takes a lot of chicks and hard culling. 

I'll look forward to lots of pictures. ;)

lol I just noticed the deprecating. Sorry I meant divide. But yes that's my plan is to divide the barn into 4- 6 pens. I really only will breed my LF Lemon Blue Cochins and try to get my numbers up but at the same time try to keep my type where it needs to be but improve it as well in some areas. My Mottled bantams are pretty solid right now but like everything they can use some work but in the end I really only have them to help with the Mille Fleur Cochin bantam project and then eventually I'd like to get Buff Barred Cochins again and find ameraucanas and silkies but not really to breed from them unless someone is interested in maybe hatching eggs. But that will be a ways off.

I'll be sure to post photos once I get to building it. I'm hoping I'll get started on it this weekend. I was given a bunch of lumber and plywood from work that was used but in good enough condition I can use it for dividing up a small barn.

I've been busy getting the paperwork around for my new vehicle (2010 mazda cx-9) and trips to the vet. Yesterday my beagle had her tumor removed. I'm waiting to hear back on wether it's cancerous or not.My other dog was diagnosed with food allergies too.
I stopped at TSC yesterday after DMV and vet. They had week old leghorn pullets on clearance for $1.50. I was told that I would get a better deal if I took them all. I brought home 48 at 75 cents each. My husband wasn't too thrilled with me. If anyone would like some leghorn pullets I'm willing to share my savings. ;)

Last edited:
I have an old dairy farm. We built separate larger pens where the cow stansions used to be. During hatching season we only let one pen free range at a time then when not hatching let them all loose together.

I think I'm gonna split this barn up so when you walk into it there will be 2 pens to your left and two on the right and I'm gonna stack them rather than make them side by side. So it will be like two different floors. I figure Cochins don't really roost and when they do it's not very high so I'd be better off making it so they have more floor space. And if need be I'll make it so I can put a middle divider in as well so if I have a small breeding pen like pairs and trios rather than larger ( 5-8 birds) numbers in each pen, I can have more pens going at once. Since right now I only have 3 breeding groups and they're all trios, I won't put a divider in any of them and just let them run the larger spaces. I'll probably always keep my LF Cochins in the bottom pens just because I'll probably keep more of them in a breeding set up and that way they can have the outdoor run directly attached to there pen. And I'll try to use the top on one side for my grow out and maybe put a divider in to separate them if there an age gap. I'll also stick a brooder for new chicks along the back wall. As of right now I was thinking about using the large aquarium I have for it but I may just build something so it's easier to clean out. I generally keep my young chicks inside for the first 2 or 3 weeks anyway so it really won't matter a whole lot what I do for it.

I don't know if I made any sense here but if anyone else had input on my idea I'd love to here. Any ideas I can add or maybe change to make it better would be great.

I think I'm gonna split this barn up so when you walk into it there will be 2 pens to your left and two on the right and I'm gonna stack them rather than make them side by side.
The only problem I see with stacking them is cleaning them out .
I like a coop I can walk in & clean .
https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/a/7099940/our-chicken-coop-gors-through-changes/
We Framed the run with 2x 4 s .Covered with horse fencing ..which eventually became the coop .

Then we were going to make the run bigger ...but instead we added another frame and and fencing on the end of the run

and it became a baby coop ..
For Broody Hens and babies ...But it could be a small breeding pen too ...Each has its own gate

Back
Top Bottom