Pics

AmaranthineAcres

Songster
Dec 2, 2018
North Carolina
In my budding obsession with egg colors and all the factors influencing them, I have scoured the forums for information about blooms, but beyond knowing the purpose (sealing the egg to prevent bacterial contamination or moisture loss), I've found very little info. I know that bloom thickness varies greatly from egg to egg among individual hens, and adds a pastel matte effect on top of color.

Heavy bloom can cause tan eggs to appear pink, chocolate eggs to look plum or purple, and olive eggs to look grey or lilac!

There have been hobby breeding projects for some of those colors (just search "pink egg project" in the forums) but little has resulted because if there is a gene influencing bloom isn't hasn't been isolated.

After a year of owning a heavy bloom layer I have noticed that laying environment seems to be a key factor. When my girl lays indoors, in very dry conditions, and the egg is not disturbed while drying, the bloom dries much more opaque. When she lays in humid conditions or the egg gets rolled around while drying, the bloom is thinner or more transparent.

I've included a photo of three of her eggs with a wet strip across each to reveal the color beneath bloom. You can tell which egg was laid indoors!

20190306_133006-01.jpeg

Has anyone else noticed laying conditions/environment influencing bloom?

This is very interesting. I'd always wondered why some of my eggs had that opaque pastel coating when dry but looked normal colored when wet. I assumed it had something to do with the bloom. However, I don't know if I could say that I've noticed how their laying conditions influence the bloom.
Isn't it? If you ever notice anything please add your anecdotes. I'm hoping some owners of colorful layers will chime in, too.

Wow.....those purple eggs are fabulous. I'd love a pink egg layer
Right? You just made me think of another observation! My EE lays a heavy bloom in maybe 1/5 eggs, but only maybe a quarter of THOSE are pink. Most have a white/slightly pink tint like in my photo above. Why??? Does something in the bloom itself vary, or does it interact with calcium in some way? I need to know!

Back
Top Bottom