Odd chick behavior

Dec 12, 2019
Ouachita Mountains
I have a 2 week old light brahma hatchery chick that is the second smallest of the group of 7 chicks I have. It is about 3/4s the size of the the other light brahma in the group. Since this morning, this chick has been just standing or sitting under the heat lamp, kind of bobbing or swaying. I picked it up earlier and it didn't try to run or fight and the noise it made when I caught it was soft pitiful cheeps instead of complaining loudly. I checked its bottom and there was a little bit of poop stuck in the down feathers below the vent but none blocking the vent at all. I cleaned it up, it was still wet so it cleaned off easily and out it near the water and food and it took a sip of water and then went back to the heat lamp. All this time, it kept doing the bobbing motion and it still is now a few hours later. It is also always standing a little bit away from the group if they all decide to come get warm at the same time.

None of the other chicks are acting this way at all. They are all acting quite normal, coming to the heat lamp to warm up and then running and scratching around, then to the food area and then they do it all over again. No injuries the chick in question that I know of nor any signs of injury. I've seen it take a drink but I've not seen it eat today. Poop looks normal with just a little stuck in the down below the vent that wiped off easily. I've just been keeping an eye on it so far to see if it perks back up but so far that hasn't happened. I really don't know what to do for it because I can't find any information on this kind of behavior.

I have all the chicks in an indoor brooder made out of an old panel style playpen and card board to stop drafts. The bedding is pine shavings and was just completely cleaned out and fresh bedding put in yesterday, I've tried google searching and reading the stickies but nothing seems to describe this issue that I'm seeing. The only symptom that comes close is lethargy but that is a symptom of almost everything so not much help.

Any idea what's wrong or what I can do for this little one? Thanks

Since this morning, this chick has been just standing or sitting under the heat lamp, kind of bobbing or swaying. I picked it up earlier and it didn't try to run or fight and the noise it made when I caught it was soft pitiful cheeps instead of complaining loudly. I checked its bottom and there was a little bit of poop stuck in the down feathers below the vent but none blocking the vent at all. I cleaned it up, it was still wet so it cleaned off easily and out it near the water and food and it took a sip of water and then went back to the heat lamp.
It is also always standing a little bit away from the group
Can you post some photos of her and her poop?

At 2 weeks, it's hard to know. Coccidiosis comes to mind, do you have any Corid (Amprolium)?
If she's not been drinking, then I would get her hydrated first, then see if she will eat a little.

A chick that is isolating itself and staying under heat is not well.

IMG_20200330_143433515.jpg
IMG_20200330_143303359.jpg

I don't have any Corid but it would take me about 30 minutes to get to the farm store and back to get some. How much does it usually cost ball park figure? They are on medicated feed because medicated feed was all they had. I didn't even think to ask if they were vaccinated when I bought them. *facepalm*

Yes, she doesn't seem well. I don't see any poop that is definitely hers but the poop that was on her bum earlier looked completely normal. Not extremely loose or dry, no blood or mucus. Should I separate her from the others or is that moot at this point?

ETA: Sorry meant to say it's the little one with its eyes closed in the first picture, not the big one laying down in both pictures.

Mkay, just needed an idea of what to expect on the Corid. I did raise the heat lamp a little when I cleaned out the brooder. These chicks have always wanted it a little warmer than recommended (when I first got them, at six days old, they didn't calm down or stop huddling until I had it around 100. I got them down to 90 before I deep cleaned the brooder yesterday. It was around 90 yesterday but check it again. BRB in a few minutes.

It's holding at about 93 - 95 directly under the lamp and at the other end of the brooder, away from the lamp where the food and water are, it's about 80. The little chick did just run over and eat and drink while I was doing this and it seems more alert now that it has all morning. Maybe it was just a fluke?

Mystery solved. This morning it is very obviously bumble foot. Going to do bumble foot surgery later today when dh is here to help me. I didn't notice any swelling or limping yesterday but it is very obvious today. I checked the others and everyone else seems fine. Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom