Odd Large Silkie Egg!

Those are cracks in the shell that rehealed
Thank you, Aart told me that.
I'm thinking one of my Turkey's stepped on her to cause that.
Aart, & somebody else believes it's was my cockerels that did it even though they've been behaving well towards the pullets.

You will need to separate the breeding pairs into individual pens and wait a while before incubating anything to ensure the right male has fertilized your eggs. Set up a bachelor pen out of line of sight from the hens and breeding pairs to stow any non-breeding cockerels. Look into line breeding - it's more for large-scale production, but has some good pointers on managing your line. With 5 breeding pairs (hopefully not all related), you can get started on this method for breeding the traits you want in your custom cross.
I wish I had the space and zoning to play around with this sort of thing. Must say, I'm jealous.

You will need to separate the breeding pairs into individual pens and wait a while before incubating anything to ensure the right male has fertilized your eggs. Set up a bachelor pen out of line of sight from the hens and breeding pairs to stow any non-breeding cockerels. Look into line breeding - it's more for large-scale production, but has some good pointers on managing your line. With 5 breeding pairs (hopefully not all related), you can get started on this method for breeding the traits you want in your custom cross.
I wish I had the space and zoning to play around with this sort of thing. Must say, I'm jealous.
The cockerels aren't the problem, but I'm planning on setting up a batchelor pad for excess roosters for my crele Orpington Project, other projects, & meat.
Right now I have some 40-50lbs turkeys to slaughter soon for Thanksgiving.

The cockerels aren't the problem, but I'm planning on setting up a batchelor pad for excess roosters for my crele Orpington Project, other projects, & meat.
Right now I have some 40-50lbs turkeys to slaughter soon for Thanksgiving.
I miss turkey soo much - what passes for turkey here is not turkey and overpriced at that. :(

A silkie can't mount a Brahma that's funny
Mine can, I have standards, & bantam sized Silkies.
Standard Silkie Cockerel vs. Bantam Silkie Cockerel.
1029191344.jpg
1029191344a.jpg

Oh, you can get whole turkey seasonally, but no luncheon meats and the 'whole turkey' isn't much bigger than a large chicken. And about $100 bucks NZ. If I do ever get out of the city, I will be breeding turkey...
Is it Guineafowl? They're suppose to taste like turkey, & about the same size a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom