Odd poop (poop pic)

tanyabee

Songster
Jul 7, 2018
Northern Wisconsin
This poop was on top of the watering can this morning. We de-wormed yesterday. Is this normal, maybe because of deworming? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180816_082129.jpg
    20180816_082129.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 13
How old are your birds? Is this the first time you have wormed? What did you use for worming and dose, and was it based on symptoms or a fecal test?

We have 4 and they are 15-17 weeks. First time I have dewormed them, not sure if their breeders have. We used Wazine, did the dosage directions on the bottle for 24 hours. Their breeder told me to deworm after my sussex was seen spitting up water. We had been feeding them a good amount of dug up earth worms and mealworms also, not realizing they can cause worms/parasites. So, finding this out, she told me to deworm with Wazine followed by vitamin water. They all seem very healthy, but I am inexperienced.

Sometimes when mine are due ( or overdue) to be wormed I will see a dropping like that, usually within a day or two after worming it returns to normal. If that gets worse, or any of them start looking lethargic, sitting fluffed up, or going off food and water, then I would treat with Corid for coccidiosis. I generally keep Corid on hand always, especially when I'm raising chicks, coccidiosis is very common.
Wazine works on roundworms, but will not work on tapeworm, though that is much less common than roundworms. Roundworms are directly picked up from the soil during pecking and scratching, tapeworms require a 'vector' meaning the chicken must ingest an infected host, like an earthworm. Just my opinion, but whenever possible it's best to have a fecal test done to check for parasites so that you know you are using the best medication for whichever one you are dealing with. After a while, if you have a common parasite problem, like roundworms, that are easily reinfected, you can put them on a schedule of worming to keep it controlled. I would just keep an eye on them to see if you see any more droppings like that or not, and make sure everyone seems to be acting OK.
If no symptoms, consider getting a fecal done in 4 - 6 months to see if you have anything showing up. I personally prefer to use direct dose medications like Valbazen or Safeguard, so I know each bird got the appropriate dose, since the water mix is dependent on them drinking enough water. Hope that helps a little.

Sometimes when mine are due ( or overdue) to be wormed I will see a dropping like that, usually within a day or two after worming it returns to normal. If that gets worse, or any of them start looking lethargic, sitting fluffed up, or going off food and water, then I would treat with Corid for coccidiosis. I generally keep Corid on hand always, especially when I'm raising chicks, coccidiosis is very common.
Wazine works on roundworms, but will not work on tapeworm, though that is much less common than roundworms. Roundworms are directly picked up from the soil during pecking and scratching, tapeworms require a 'vector' meaning the chicken must ingest an infected host, like an earthworm. Just my opinion, but whenever possible it's best to have a fecal test done to check for parasites so that you know you are using the best medication for whichever one you are dealing with. After a while, if you have a common parasite problem, like roundworms, that are easily reinfected, you can put them on a schedule of worming to keep it controlled. I would just keep an eye on them to see if you see any more droppings like that or not, and make sure everyone seems to be acting OK.
If no symptoms, consider getting a fecal done in 4 - 6 months to see if you have anything showing up. I personally prefer to use direct dose medications like Valbazen or Safeguard, so I know each bird got the appropriate dose, since the water mix is dependent on them drinking enough water. Hope that helps a little.
This is so helpful, thank you! I haven't seen any other poops like this, but it's hard to tell when they land in the dirt or wood chips. I'm going to order some of the Corid to have on hand and watch for other symptoms, really hoping it is nothing!

Depending on your coop set up you can put trays (boot trays work well) down under the roosts at night to catch droppings, which can give a good overall look. Some people don't like droppings boards, but I do for this reason. Every morning I get a good look at everyone's droppings, which can sometimes give you a good clue if something is going on. I have to worm regularly for roundworms, so it will often tell me if it's time, especially if I've gotten lazy and put it off :oops:. Also if someone has anything else abnormal going on, this can give you an early look. I just had a hen that needed antibiotics for an infection that I found early due to yellow/green droppings found on the board in the morning. I just have painted plywood sheets under the roosts that I scrape off every morning. Just another tool for keeping an eye on things.

Depending on your coop set up you can put trays (boot trays work well) down under the roosts at night to catch droppings, which can give a good overall look. Some people don't like droppings boards, but I do for this reason. Every morning I get a good look at everyone's droppings, which can sometimes give you a good clue if something is going on. I have to worm regularly for roundworms, so it will often tell me if it's time, especially if I've gotten lazy and put it off :oops:. Also if someone has anything else abnormal going on, this can give you an early look. I just had a hen that needed antibiotics for an infection that I found early due to yellow/green droppings found on the board in the morning. I just have painted plywood sheets under the roosts that I scrape off every morning. Just another tool for keeping an eye on things.
great advice, and we should do this for sure. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom