Odd "Roo"....

Nanipulelehua

Hatching
Mar 10, 2016
Kansas
Warning, it's a long story...

Beginning of March my husband picked an EE chick out of the "Pan Fry" rooster bin at the feed store. I picked out 4 assorted bantams and 2 SLW from a pullet bin. Three months later 2 of the bantams are for sure cockerels and one of my SLW turned out to be a cockerel too. So we were looking at 4 roosters.

Two months ago 3 started crowing but the EE didn't even have comb development though he strutted like he was king of the coop. I came to thinking maybe he's a late bloomer? We bought him as a rooster, right? Last month a 3 row comb started to develop, small but developed and bright waxy red. Woo-hoo he's starting to catch up finally after 5 months!!!

Today I go out to the coop and there is a blue egg. I have a 4 month old EE pullet and think, is she laying already? Her comb is still slightly yellow, not bright waxy red. I pick her up and check her pelvic bones and vent... She's not laying, I am sure of it. I only have one other EE, the late blooming now developing cockerel.

I check my SLW hen that I know is laying and make note of her features. I check my SLW rooster and make note of his features. I check my husbands EE cockerel and long behold I can fit 3 fingers between "his" pelvic bone and "he" has a large moist vent, similar to my laying SLW.

Now here is my question; is there any sort of explanation for why SHE has a three row pea comb?

It is very common for an adult EE hen to have three rows of peas. Its just when a young chick has three rows its generally a rooster. Enjoy those blue eggs!

Thank you. I tried looking it up and the only threads I could pull up were chick gender threads so I've always assumed the 3 rows means male but I can't complain about another hen and one less rooster.

Here is a picture of one of my ladies right before she started laying.

Warning, it's a long story...

Beginning of March my husband picked an EE chick out of the "Pan Fry" rooster bin at the feed store. I picked out 4 assorted bantams and 2 SLW from a pullet bin. Three months later 2 of the bantams are for sure cockerels and one of my SLW turned out to be a cockerel too. So we were looking at 4 roosters.

Two months ago 3 started crowing but the EE didn't even have comb development though he strutted like he was king of the coop. I came to thinking maybe he's a late bloomer? We bought him as a rooster, right? Last month a 3 row comb started to develop, small but developed and bright waxy red. Woo-hoo he's starting to catch up finally after 5 months!!!

Today I go out to the coop and there is a blue egg. I have a 4 month old EE pullet and think, is she laying already? Her comb is still slightly yellow, not bright waxy red. I pick her up and check her pelvic bones and vent... She's not laying, I am sure of it. I only have one other EE, the late blooming now developing cockerel.

I check my SLW hen that I know is laying and make note of her features. I check my SLW rooster and make note of his features. I check my husbands EE cockerel and long behold I can fit 3 fingers between "his" pelvic bone and "he" has a large moist vent, similar to my laying SLW.

Now here is my question; is there any sort of explanation for why SHE has a three row pea comb?

Feed stores are notorious for mixing things up. Happens all the time.
The sudden change in the comb was your clue that she was reaching point of lay. Now time to break out the pan and fry up some eggs
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom