Odd rooster behavior

watchdogps

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Central Ohio
background: I acquired about 40 chickens three days ago, about half are roosters. Adults. They are currently in a run in the barn that is too small for them, so yes they are crowded (that will be rectified this weekend).

One of the roosters keeps putting his face in a corner of the run or in a corner of a box and he puts his head down, butt up and just sits there. no one seems to be picking on him when he does this.
Any ideas why? Is it likely just stress from being crowded, or indicate some health issue? He does have scaly leg mites, but otherwise seems okay.

That is the tormented fowl pose.
He might just be so used to being tormented from where he came from, That he just automatically assumed to bully bait position.

That's a defensive posture where they are trying to protect their heads.......I think you're right, he is probably doing it because he's stressed and crowded.

Quote:
That's a good idea, but he might not stick around since he doesn't feel like he's "at home" yet. What will you do with all those roosters? Process them for meat?

Quote:
That's a good idea, but he might not stick around since he doesn't feel like he's "at home" yet. What will you do with all those roosters? Process them for meat?

Well, maybe if all the others are still here, he will stay close.
yes, many of them will go for meat. I wouldnt mind finding a few homes, but they are all mutts (albeit pretty mutts) and have scaly leg mites, so I'm pretty sure no one will want them

Ok, another question - if most of the other roosters are culled, how would this rooster likely behave? Do roosters at the bottom of the pecking order usually stay there, or would he be better? We are butchering tomorrow, and my first instinct is to cull him, but hubby and I are softies and part of us doesnt want to kill the bullied roo...but there will be a couple other roosters kept, and I dont want him to keep being abused.

Back
Top Bottom