OEGB - broodiness, personality, egg-laying, maturity?

Oh man, our baby Easter Egger we got two months ago as a chick that turned out to be male, well it's starting to crow and holy crap does it sound funny :lau!
Kinda like "Ba-BA-Baah" lol.
Him and tiny Taichi were having a crow-off this morning when I went to check on all the baby fluffers.

Last edited:
Here's a random video I made, shows all the chickens + baby fluffers + the run;
I accidentally covered the mic at one point, right when the focus went bad lol.
The girls have taken to dirtbathing under that panel of wood leaning against Yuki's makeshift cage brooder in the run, it's really funny, they love it.

Last edited:
I picked up one of Gracie's little fluffers, twice today!
This morning we let her and her chicks out to walk around a bit,
but two got kinda lost in the higher grass behind their tiny maternity coop,
so my mother and I had to lift them out and bring them around to Gracie and the other two chicks; then, tonight, they were right by me and I couldn't resist,
so I gently picked one up, who then started making alarmed noises,
and so Gracie went into Momma Defense Mode!
She started making noises and pecking my hand to make me put it down,
which in turn made me feel bad, so I put it down! Lol.
She and it were both happy as ever once back on the ground, haha.
She's a pretty trusting momma, isn't scared at all of having her chicks right by us.
I hope I didn't ruin that just now :p but I doubt it, she's pretty chill.
They're so tiny, they weigh almost nothing, it's too cute!
Bantams are amazing, I can hardly believe something so small can live and grow into something the size of Gracie (still pretty small, but still!).

Ah man, one tiny baby of Gracie's, the one that was the only frizzle, died :(.
We have no clue why or how. The chicks are somewhere around ten days old,
and all of them were behaving perfectly fine and normal yesterday.
Just one of those things that happen, I guess. At least she has three more.

Ah man, one tiny baby of Gracie's, the one that was the only frizzle, died :(.
We have no clue why or how. The chicks are somewhere around ten days old,
and all of them were behaving perfectly fine and normal yesterday.
Just one of those things that happen, I guess. At least she has three more.

Oh that is a shame. But it is good that she has 3 other cute little buttons to raise. You'll have to keep us updated as I can't wait to see how they turn out once they've grown up.

Oh that is a shame. But it is good that she has 3 other cute little buttons to raise. You'll have to keep us updated as I can't wait to see how they turn out once they've grown up.
Yeah, I'm bummed but not too bummed-
last time her only two chicks died was far worse.
Hearing her cry out for them was awful,
I'm glad she hatched four this time just in case.
Three is better than none! I hope they make it.
I'll make another video and take more pictures soon,
I'll try to update with pics and video once a week or so :).

Quick question guys: Yesterday we saw Yuki lightly pecking at a spot on her adopted fluffer, the white colored chick that hatched late- looking closer, there is like a bare spot on the side of the neck/breast, near the wing,
like nothing grew in just that one very, very tiny spot?
Either that or the chick preened it off or Yuki pecked it off, not sure, but anyway there's no blood or hole or anything, just thinking about potential problems: If Yuki starts really pecking at that spot and makes it bleed, I need to know what I can do/use to cover it up, I know about Blu-Kote and Pick-No-More and have both, but this is a WHITE colored chick, and I can't see a dark splotch taking attention away from the spot.
Just trying to be proactive; any tips, advice?
Jeez chicks are nerve-wrecking. Lol.

Holy crap, there was a GIGANTIC toad chilling by the maternity coop,
I didn't want it to freak out Gracie or her chicks so I poked it to move it along,
Gracie saw it, spread out her wings, puffed up, and starting growling!
The toad was nearly as big as her, I couldn't stop laughing!
I got it to hop away and she chilled out, oh wow that was funny!
One of those you had to be there kind of things :p

Quick question guys: Yesterday we saw Yuki lightly pecking at a spot on her adopted fluffer, the white colored chick that hatched late- looking closer, there is like a bare spot on the side of the neck/breast, near the wing,
like nothing grew in just that one very, very tiny spot?
Either that or the chick preened it off or Yuki pecked it off, not sure, but anyway there's no blood or hole or anything, just thinking about potential problems: If Yuki starts really pecking at that spot and makes it bleed, I need to know what I can do/use to cover it up, I know about Blu-Kote and Pick-No-More and have both, but this is a WHITE colored chick, and I can't see a dark splotch taking attention away from the spot.
Just trying to be proactive; any tips, advice?
Jeez chicks are nerve-wrecking. Lol.

I'd just keep an eye on it and make sure Yuki doesn't keep picking at it. I don't have any further wisdom to offer if she does keep picking at it though. You could always ask for ideas on the Raising Baby Chicks forum if it does get worse.

I'd just keep an eye on it and make sure Yuki doesn't keep picking at it. I don't have any further wisdom to offer if she does keep picking at it though. You could always ask for ideas on the Raising Baby Chicks forum if it does get worse.
So far today she has left it alone, it might have just been something on the chick?
I'm not sure, but it looks like everything's fine now; I worry too much lol

Back
Top Bottom