Ended Official 2020 BYC Halloween Hatch-Along

Two more today! That makes 6/8 olive Eggers, with a seventh egg pipping. Sadly no Ayam Cemani hatchers šŸ˜­. Eggs must've been a bit too old before I set them.
Got a brooder set up outside, with a heating pad, in the well house which has to have a heater running anyhow for the plumbing so is warmer than my barn.

Attachments

• IMG_20201101_072304073.jpg
    IMG_20201101_072304073.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20201031_170903396.jpg
    IMG_20201031_170903396.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20201031_170834355.jpg
    IMG_20201031_170834355.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20201031_170801418.jpg
    IMG_20201031_170801418.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 5
Where did you get your Bresse, I haven't had good luck with hatching bresse, this time 3 out 14 hatched and last time 2 out 12 and another 14 due to hatch in 10 days. I know I should have left them in the egg carton but I couldn't turn them 3 or 4 times a day.
From a friend in Southern California. He bought his from Greenfire Farms as chicks.
Both times Iā€™ve had him ship me eggs they've done well.

The incubator I have turns them. This maybe something thatā€™s causing your hatch rate. Turning exercises them and keeps them from sticking to eggshell inside. Egg carton for me is just personal preference. Some like it some donā€™t.

Temps and humidity I run at are 100.5 and 40% till lockdown then 60%
Danger with higher temps you have to know your thermometer is spot on. Itā€™s actually running cooler than I like this time at 99.9. But I wasnā€™t going to mess with raising it without knowing what the next adjustment up did. Next time.
The egg under the chick has now hatched.
Nothing yet from the 5 Pita Pintas they are my biggest concern this hatch as the hens have stopped laying. Iā€™m afraid all our smoke this year has got to them. Tough to put a mask on them.

From a friend in Southern California. He bought his from Greenfire Farms as chicks.
Both times Iā€™ve had him ship me eggs they've done well.

The incubator I have turns them. This maybe something thatā€™s causing your hatch rate. Turning exercises them and keeps them from sticking to eggshell inside. Egg carton for me is just personal preference. Some like it some donā€™t.

Temps and humidity I run at are 100.5 and 40% till lockdown then 60%
Danger with higher temps you have to know your thermometer is spot on. Itā€™s actually running cooler than I like this time at 99.9. But I wasnā€™t going to mess with raising it without knowing what the next adjustment up did. Next time.
The egg under the chick has now hatched.
Nothing yet from the 5 Pita Pintas they are my biggest concern this hatch as the hens have stopped laying. Iā€™m afraid all our smoke this year has got to them. Tough to put a mask on them.
I haven't had any problems with hatching in my 2 NR360s, except for the Bresse, 12 of the 14 showed development then I took them out of the egg carton on day 7 to use the automatic turner (they went from up right to laying down) development stopped. I guess I'll have to get another incubator for the Bresse in order to keep them up right. I also keep my temp at 99.8 and humidity at 40% until lock down. Thank you, I'll have to check out Greenfire farms.

I haven't had any problems with hatching in my 2 NR360s, except for the Bresse, 12 of the 14 showed development then I took them out of the egg carton on day 7 to use the automatic turner (they went from up right to laying down) development stopped. I guess I'll have to get another incubator for the Bresse in order to keep them up right. I also keep my temp at 99.8 and humidity at 40% until lock down. Thank you, I'll have to check out Greenfire farms.
They are worth the trouble when you get them established. Wife prefers them over all other breeds weā€™ve had. Of the ones hatched do you have a pair? Or are they too young yet.

If I were using an egg carton, I would either take them out earlier or later than day 7... Iā€™d either want the chick larger or smaller to have such a change in conditions.

@SnapdragonQ am I losing my mind or did you work with how to keep your eggs turning while upright in a NR360 this year?

I personally no longer do not turn shipped eggs from day 1. I used to rest inside the incubator and my shipped egg hatch rates have increased exponentially. Iā€™ve read too many scientific articles that say the most important days to turn are the first three. Interestingly I believe the studies also say more eggs will quit if you donā€™t turn for three days and start turning than if you turn for three days and then never turn again.

If I were using an egg carton, I would either take them out earlier or later than day 7... Iā€™d either want the chick larger or smaller to have such a change in conditions.

@SnapdragonQ am I losing my mind or did you work with how to keep your eggs turning while upright in a NR360 this year?

I personally no longer do not turn shipped eggs from day 1. I used to rest inside the incubator and my shipped egg hatch rates have increased exponentially. Iā€™ve read too many scientific articles that say the most important days to turn are the first three. Interestingly I believe the studies also say more eggs will quit if you donā€™t turn for three days and start turning than if you turn for three days and then never turn again.

Me I turn/tilt from day one. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom