Official BYC Poll: Why Do You Have Chickens?

Why do you raise chickens?

• Pets

Votes: 804 77.3%
  • Eggs

Votes: 922 88.7%
  • Meat

Votes: 205 19.7%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 314 30.2%
  • Pest Control

Votes: 292 28.1%
  • Exhibition

Votes: 79 7.6%
  • For Resale

Votes: 98 9.4%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 109 10.5%

• Total voters
Pics
I checked eggs, but that alone is not the whole reason.
I love farm fresh eggs, and i sell some.
Chickens are great entertainment.
I enjoy chicks and broody moms raising chicks.
I love my rooster crowing, and how he cares for his flock of girls.
My farm would be to quiet and lonely without them.
I wonder how many back yard chicken owners actually pay all their costs and make a
Profit selling there chicken eggs? I would guess little to none.
Definitely no profit here :)

Definitely no profit here :)
They're so awesome, I don't care about how many eggs they lay or not. They make me smile & laugh, they let me scoop them up for hugs, there's truly no place I'd rather be & I know some people may think that's nuts preferring the company of my flock, but they have really been an amazing part of my life. Their company has saved me during this pandemic.

Agreed they are my therapy chickens! They keep me happy, so I keep them happy. I originally wanted eggs, but I've always loved birds, and these are not very different from parakeets and love birds. It's so soothing to pet a chicken, and watch them in the yard. Everyone needs chickens!
I agree, I've had many types of birds in my care, babysat Cockatoos once, what ornery characters they are. I love Cockatiels, Pigeons, Canaries & Chickens...such lovable sweeties. It's cool when the little birds snuggle under your chin, but the chickens you can scoop 'em up & give a big hug, plus they're just so funny!

I've thought about getting backyard chicken for years. Our former neighbors had a huge garden and I thought it would be cool to be able to trade eggs for produce. I shelved the idea, but when COVID hit and I couldn't get eggs at the grocery, we decided to go ahead with it. Kindof to get eggs, but mostly for something fun to do. Our flock of five hens are our "pets with benefits."

They're so awesome, I don't care about how many eggs they lay or not. They make me smile & laugh, they let me scoop them up for hugs, there's truly no place I'd rather be & I know some people may think that's nuts preferring the company of my flock, but they have really been an amazing part of my life. Their company has saved me during this pandemic.
Yep, all of the above. They are good therapy!

My dad wanted chickens and they ended up being my job. We started with a flock of 3 barred rocks and I fell in love with them. I now am a proud chicken mama of 6 lavender Orpingtons, 2 rhode island reds, and an ameracuana!
Edit: I love that I get fresh eggs and the occasional ones that need to be culled are used for meat, which is always a plus.

Back
Top Bottom