Official BYC POLL: Chicken Keeping - Easier, same or harder than dogs/cats?

How did/do find chicken keeping compared to keeping dogs/cats?

• Easier than keeping dogs

Votes: 232 62.0%
  • Harder than keeping dogs

Votes: 62 16.6%
  • Same as keeping dogs

Votes: 54 14.4%
  • Easier than keeping cats

Votes: 78 20.9%
  • Harder than keeping cats

Votes: 125 33.4%
  • Same as keeping cats

Votes: 78 20.9%

• Total voters
I'd say that chickens are about the same level of work as our newly acquired kittens.

We have two Yorkshire terriers but they use pee pads so we don't have to worry (too much) about accidents when we use a farm-sitter.

Ducks on the other hand, require a lot of water even in the winter so I think they are more work than chickens, our Yorkies, or our kittens. But I love them soooo much!!!! :love Totally worth it.

However, no one is as much work as the stupid guineas! Every. Single. Night. my poor husband has to climb up on the coop-camper and "persuade" them to get down and sleep in the coop instead of on the camper roof. No way a farm-sitter would do that! If it weren't for the fact that the turkeys destined for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners also join the guineas, I'd just let the stupid things take their chances. (There's an electric fence around the whole thing plus a Maremma livestock guardian dog who takes his job very seriously so it's not they'd be completely doomed.)

Of course, even all combined, none of them are as much work as kids would be so I'll stick with my critters. ;)

Reading some of the replies so far, have to smile.

Keeping chickens can be a lot of work… or very, very little.

All it takes is a bit of planning.

For me, I have little choice but to have little work to do keeping a flock of about 12.

The only daily chore I do is collecting eggs, as nothing else needs daily attention.

Weekly, I fill the 2 week supply of water. Monthly I fill the 5 week food supply and check secured rodent baits. Yearly, I clean the coop…

I can be away for over a week, they will have plenty of food, water, and a secured coop and run to enjoy without me. I would miss them a whole lot more than they would me…

I cannot say that for my needy dog or any other animal ever in my care.

I voted that dogs are harder than chickens, and chickens are easier than cats...or almost the same as cats.

It really depends on what type of lifestyle you lead, though.

When I grew up in rural/farm country, dogs and cats simply hung about with little training or care. We fed them, but they (the cats) worked at keeping rats down. Dogs chased off varmints, sometimes getting a snack that way too.

You kept an eye on all livestock, daily, and tended needs as needed, but it was all pretty equal. You just had to make sure no one wandered off or disturbed the neighbors.

Living now in suburbia with indoor cats and dogs, I can say that dogs take waaayyyy more training and attention.

You have to walk them, potty train them, and give them daily attention rather than just feeding. Regular reinforcement is needed to make sure their people and chicken manners are superlative, and that they don't gain any bad habits (especially since I work at home and need properly behaving dogs greeting my clients). My reward? Children who love to come to my lessons, and a Rat Terrier that is fine with the chickens yet has 14 rat kills this summer. (Go Dobby!)

Then there was our Guide Dog projects. That's another world all together. Our Guide Dog puppy raising projects were intensive, to put it mildly. It is like bringing home an infant from the hospital, then over the course of a year bringing it to the level of a 6 year old. They are with you 24x7. You have to watch every behavior to be constantly reinforcing through positive means all behaviors that will be complimentary to a guide for the blind. (ie the dog can never pick up anything off the floor, never jump up on people, never whine or bark). It is all done with much love and care, and gentle reinforcements, but it takes 24 hours a day every day to reinforce that. It is exhausting.

My cats are better. They pretty much rule the home with a royal air. I just have to make sure their cat box is clean and food bowl filled. They ignore me or not at their will. Generally seeking attention in the middle of the student lesson (which the kids love).

My chickens? They hang outside, put themselves to bed, even find food for themselves. I just have to check daily on food and water to make sure they are okay after foraging. Seasonal treatments if needed. Bi-weekly coop cleaning. Seasonal run care. Overall, they simply reshape my landscape all day long and leave me food for breakfast in the coop.

So chickens are the easiest, close to cats. Dogs...love them...but they are a lot of work especially if you are into any specialty training.

LofMc

Last edited:
Way easier than keeping dogs,don't have to worry about the chickens chewing up stuff, attacking anyone, or marking territory everywhere. Harder than cats, cat is pretty much self running. I fill bowls, dispose of poops and the cat is good. Chickens, got to fill bowls, lock them up and let them out occasionally got to deal with a chicken issue mites,an injury maybe a squabble .:)

In my case, the chickens are harder to care for than the cat, but easier than the dogs.

The chickens live in runs 24/7 since they can't free-range where I live, so there's no letting them out and putting them away every day. I can fill up their food and water and they'll be good to go for a few days if needed. Takes me about 15 minutes every day to check on everyone, collect eggs, make sure they've got food and water, and that's it.

I do have an unusually easy to care for cat so I don't know, maybe other cats are harder to care for than chickens. My boy is 12 years old so he sleeps most of the time and doesn't want anything from me except food.

My dogs are more work than the chickens but I think that's probably common, especially if you've got a smaller flock. One of my dogs is very young and high-strung, and the other is on a weight loss plan, so they need daily walks and playtime in the house. Plus the dogs need regular vet visits, vaccines, etc. that chickens may not need often.

Each animal has it's benefits and it's complications.

My dogs, cats and chickens need food and water daily.
They all need cleaned up after regularly. Daily is best but if it goes longer everyone would survive. (except maybe me who has to do the scooping)

My dogs and chickens great me when I get home.
My cats and chickens would rather I not snuggle them.
The dogs are more easily trained. The cats and chickens don't need it. (sometimes it would be nice if they would follow direction)

All have illness they can't tell us about and some we can and cannot fix.

I'd say it's all relative.

I guess it depends on the breed of dog, where it is kept and where you live. Ours is 1/2 Great Pyreneese, 1/4 Australian Shepard, 1/4 Border Collie.
She needed minimal training, sit, stay, go home, and go get them, which was something she kinda just figured out, mainly when we move bulls. She lives outside, she hates it inside, she does whatever she wants in terms of where she goes ans when she goes there around our 800 acres. We play with her throw balls, wrestle, go out and check fence, but thats all during stuff I have to do regardless, lol.
Absolutely. Mine is kept in a run/house because she would terrorize livestock otherwise. She needs those shots and vet checks that she otherwise might not because I foster dogs that often aren't in perfect health.

Back
Top Bottom