Oh Good Lord, they can fly.

I am probably nuts, but I like hearing them run across my roof in the mornings.
thump..thump...thump....thump.... back and forth
love.gif

My guineas CAN'T FLY and I wish they could. Mine are 9 weeks old and they have been food for the predators the last 2 nights. I have lost 4 of them and only have 6 left. I watch them try to fly to the roost but they can't even get 5ft off of the ground so they end up sleeping on the ground and getting picked off. I have tried to herd them into their coop but they refuse to go. I guess my guineas weren't meant to be.

Quote:
Never heard of keets not being able to fly at that age are you sure they are guineas?
roll.png

by 9 weeks mine are roosting in the trees and flying across the yard.
You should be able to catch them at night and put them up they can't even see in dimly lit areas

DSC00078.jpg

OMG! Mine are only about 2 weeks old and are in a covered brooder. I suppose I better be getting them out to a wire brooder so they can bounce around better.

I totally expect mine to fly at a young age.
I think sometimes they can't if they are too heavy. Maybe they are eating too much corn and are too fat to fly?
I have a friend that feeds her birds a lot of corn and I know I expected the Muscovy to fly but they can't....way too fat.

At 3 weeks mine were flying and flapping around the pen, flying up on top of the dogloo and their dog crate. At 3.5 weeks they were flapping their wings while climbing up the chainlink walls of the 6' pen to the top. They have all been rehomed to a 24 acre farm joining 2 guinea hens. I am going to try to figure out a better situation before I let any more hatch out.

If these aren't guineas then I have been ripped off.
guineas.jpg

I have watched them at dark try to fly up to a roost but they never make it and flutter back to the ground.
Maybe they wait to long and it gets too dark for them to judge the distance. I don't know. I have always heard how good they can fly but I have some duds.
Could it be because they are french guineas and are heavier??

LOL! They are definately guineas. Perhaps it is because they are the french variety. I need a taller pen for mine but I think they can fly. My chicken tractor is only 3 1/2 feet tall but they do fly about 2 feet or so up to perch on a limb I have but in the corner. They are in with my silkies and the silkies don't even attempt it. I need more perches for them because they can't all fit on the one. Do you have somewhere you can put them up safely at night so the predators can't get to them? Knock on Wood - but I have never had a predator break into my chicken coop and it is wide open. The gate to their run stays open and the door to the coop is open as well. I have two yard dogs so maybe they keep the predators away, or I have just been lucky so far. The only animals that comes up in our yard are armadillos.

They don't look too fat.
I have never heard of guineas that can not fly thats just really strange, mabe they have been cliped in some way before ya got them or did ya hatch them yourself?

Back
Top Bottom