Oh, Jodyyyyyyy! Hey, Nugget has Gone to the Darkside (PICS ADDED)

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I just witnessed a huge gold pitbull with feathers this a.m. First thing, I go into the coop and Nugget, my Buff Orpington beauty from Jody is on the nest. When I look at her, she growls and puffs up. That isn't unusual for Nugget-she's quite the nest-guarder. I do some cleaning stuff in the other room, then as I turn around, I see Nugget fly off her nest and literally knock another hen off the bar where she'd standing, checking out Nugget's accomodations for herself. Nugget stands for a moment, all blown up like a pufferfish, daring anyone to come back up there. Then, she goes right back, gets into her nest on her egg, facing backward and takes ages to get situated the way she wants.

Um, Jody, I always joked about Nugget being a mean woman while on the nest, practicing for motherhood, but maybe that's not such a joke. What do you think? She's about 37 weeks old and has been laying just about a month, I think.

*****Thank you, Angie! Quick Draw MissP, LOL!

Last edited:
Imagine this as a chant.

Let her set!
Let her set!
Let her set!
Let her set!
Let her set!
Let her set!

I have a Silkie Hen that has been trying to set for a month now. I have not let her because it is so cold right now.

One more time ..... Let her set!

lau.gif
Oh dear, she sounds just like Bahama Mama. That girl guarded the nest and pecked hard too. She was my only biter. Her head/neck would snap back like a cobra and you knew you were in for it.
gig.gif

It sounds like your girl has some very good natural hormones flying and it's time to round up some eggs for mama-to-be.
jumpy.gif
There's no point in fighting it. You know she will win.
bow.gif

Give her some egg's and let her be.I was beginning to think I had a RIR broody yesterday cause she was on the nest all day until roost time and then she got up.Maybe she is just thinking about it right now.

When I checked on Nuggers, she was on a different nest, but still acting the same. In her former nest were Ivy and Panda struggling over that one. Ivy is way up in pecking order, so I bet Ivy insisted Nugget leave. Here are pics of our Nugget and others:
DCP_2086.jpg

DCP_2088.jpg

DCP_2087.jpg

LOL The red one is saying "um, is someone almost finished..I need to get in there". Great pics Cyn! Nugget sure got that broody crazy eye.

They love those open air nests. Used to have a roof of aluminum flashing on them, then when youngsters kept trying to roost on top, we removed it. Then everybody wanted those three nests. Never mind that there are about 7 others in the coop. We finally decided to remove the top of the nests in the addition that they stopped using, at least the two top ones. Now, the New Hampshire ladies are nesting in there...and so many books say they like them dark. Not my girls!
I'll check our Nugget again in a few minutes. We'll see what happens. At least the broody pen that is in Suede's coop is vacant.

Here is my NH, Penny, nesting in the newly opened up nest. Crazy women.
DCP_2090.jpg

Last edited:
It's two hours later and she's still there, puffed up and panting. Not sure if she really laid an egg, but I havent found one that looks just like hers in either nest. We'll prepare the broody pen and move her onto a nest there and see if she sits tight. If so, then I need to figure out what eggs to give her. Cant do Blue Orps, dont need Barred Rocks...what to do, what to do...

Back
Top Bottom