Oh my god! My babies are LAYING?!?!?!!!

ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
My baby pullets from Ideal are only now hitting the 5 month mark, and they are LAYING? One of them HAS to be! They are the classic "pullet" egg - About half the size of a regular one.......the only one of my girls I think could've done this is Holly (speckled sussex), and one of my EEs, Jinx......They have been doing the egg dance!!! And it was laid in the last nesting box were none of the adults lay!!! There were two eggs - one was still warm! They are pretty much the same color, as well.....

Is this even possible?! They are so young! But then again, I've never had hatchery chicks before these guys.....

My first silkie layed at about that same age. I have had the extra-extra-small pullet eggs people mention, some as small as a robin's egg from my Old English bantams, but hers was a full-sized, perfectly proportioned egg. Neat!
smile.png

Last edited:
5 months sounds right to me... is it really so early?

I believe the average ages are 20-26 weeks. I thinnk your girls are right on.

I posted a thread about this earlier and people said they've gotten eggs as early as 15.5 weeks, 16, 17 weeks.

Well, my last pullets that were completely home-grown (came from an amish farm) didnt start laying until about 6 or 7 months!!!

Thanks for all the relpies. I dont know, this has just amazed me to no end!!! And Im so proud of my little girls!!! I think I'll fix them some hot oatmeal and give to them a little later.

deenamr - Thanks!

Chickenaddict - Yes, it is really really exciting! What color are your EEs eggs, btw?

Back
Top Bottom