OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by twincreekfarm, Jul 25, 2007.

1. 6 littleHens

6 littleHens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Chillicothe, Ohio
    Can't wait to see the pics! What's there behavior like compared to a silkie?

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    there is always a ton of them there, but im looking for ones better than what I have. its impossible to breed them perfect but im still on that mission LOL. if I can get them in a very nice type/pattern then ill breed some golden duckwings. I love my old English bantams, what am I saying I love all my birds (but that one buckeye rooster)

3. mlaff

mlaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    All of the chickens I gotten from her are awesome. They let my youngest pick them up and cuddle. They love being held. So far they are super sweet. They were destined for freezer camp if we didn't take them, I couldn't resist.

4. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    mlaff, this is a link you might want to read. I had a problem with some of my silkies, found out later this was it. it results from a polish crossed with silkies. its truly not a problem if you keep the chicks separated for a few weeks though.

http://chickenjunkie.com/chicken-breeds/silkie-chicken/vaulted-skulls/vaulted-skulls-in-silkies/

btw. im really not a negative person, I know my last few comments have made me sound that way. just want to educate everyone past my mistakes.

5. mlaff

Mar 25, 2012

Doesn't seem like a negative comment at all. These are about 4-5 months old already. So hopefully it has closed if they have them. Now we are trying to figure out how to incorporate all of them together. All of my younger ones free range together with no problem. Our oldest 3 are together in a coop but have free ranged with the younger ones. Lately the roo is attacking our cockerels. He sees them everyday and has just recently started. Now I have to figure out how to incorporate the ones I got today with the rest. Should I start with the younger ones or the older? I'm so lost with this because all of the others have been around each other since they were babies. I now they must be separated for awhile but worry about it coming time when I will put them together. Any suggestions are welcome. I do make sure all of them see each other daily and can have contact , through chicken wire.

6. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    i haven't mixed flocks in a long time, for the most part the groups I raise together stay together. someone else may have better advice, but I did have good luck when I let them run together in the days, and cooped them separately at night for about a week. after that you will know where your problems are, and who you might have to separate out.

7. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    on another note, I am so happy. today I was looking at my basque chicks, I started noticing some had feathers on their legs. for about 3-4 hours I walked around looking at my birds wondering where they had came from. then it hit me, when my friend brought me those basque chicks, he also brought a few golden cuckoo marans. i thought i lost these in the brooder when we had a power failure. but i have at least 2 young cockerels and a hen. im happier than a hen high on mealworms right now.

8. Stevens21

Stevens21 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Mount Orab Ohio
    We first started out with 4 golden comets and a rooster, then introduced 6 to the flock they stuck together but the others didn't like them much. A dog for 5 of them so we had to go get some others ones so the one wasn't out cold since they like to cuddle. The 5 we brought everyone got along great. From the last trade show we got 5 silkies and 6 easter eggers the silkies we introduced first they stick together and for about 2 weeks now the easter eggers have been out there. They all get along great. Our Easter Egg ones like us the most and will let the kids pet and hold them. A few of them are flighty and will jump up on my husbands shoulder when its feeding time. We don't have the best Chicken coop but they are happy with what we got and its funny because the 4 comets used to stick together like glue but now two are sleeping by themselves, and everyone else is sleeping with their groups.

9. mlaff

Mar 25, 2012
    Mine are all young. About 3/4 are from the same breeder. They are just now ready to go into the big coop from their brooders. Most free range together and are put up separately. My newest ones are my problem because they are the same age as the rest, if not a little older and aren't used to the rest of mine. I have had a hen kill new ones before and really don't wanna go through it again.

10. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    I have the best luck keeping my silkies separated by breed. I have a black blue split rooster that is mean, I also have a buff hen that has killed 2 roosters. keep in mind most of my chickens are in breeding pens, I put the silkies in pens with about 4 square feet per bird. if im introducing a new hen, I will take the old hen out put the new one in, after a day put the other hen back. there is usually still a pecking order issue, but it usually wont last long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by