OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by twincreekfarm, Jul 25, 2007.

1. mlaff

mlaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012

So I finally got an email back after sending a 4th email and also posting on the original thread. They had not even sent them! I just said they don't get on here during the week, apparently they don't know their profile shows the last log in. But offered to send them Monday or a refund. I said Monday is the deadline otherwise I want a refund and that they should have taken the responsibility to pm me and tell me they never sent them. Horrible communication. It does work it in the end because I have another set of eggs being mailed out Monday but totally besides the point.

2. mlaff

Mar 25, 2012
    They said they had not been on BYC since the auction ended. Sorry it's been a long day.:rolleyes:

3. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    it seems like you have the worst luck. I do think your new incubator is going to help you with your hatches though. makes me wish I had some chocolate orps to send you.
    is the gene that makes chocolate orps like the gene that makes chocolate old English? if so you will have to occasionally breed chocolate to black to keep the color.

is anyone else going to Lucasville this weekend?

4. OHfarmerswife

OHfarmerswife Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Troy, OH
    hugs to you for your frustrating day.

5. Marengoite

Marengoite Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Howdy, all.

It's been a while since I've been here and a lot's been happening. First off, I got a job in March so yay about that, the bad thing is I have to drive 40 min. one way to commute. And get home. In the meantime, my DIY incubator worked and I hatched out these guys:

[​IMG]

They aren't all here, but I got 2 Buckeyes and 5 Buckeye X Barred rocks (3 cockerels, 2 pullets).

Meanwhile, I also bought some turkeys, but sold them since they appeared to be mixed instead of the Blue slate I was promised. However, I did get a shipment in from Porter's Heritage Turkeys of 2 Jersey Buffs, 8 Self Buffs, and 7 Regal Reds. Sold the JB's and SB's to a lady on the poultry committee for 4-H for the county (You might know her, Leslie) and have a nice tidy flock of Regal reds along with our 3 BBWs for 4-H market turkeys.

[​IMG]

The Porter turkeys at the USPS. Checking to see what they looked like after 2 days in transit in unseasonably cold weather. Only lost 2, so I'm happy he shipped 2 extra.

[​IMG]

Buckybars in what used to be a rabbit hutch that is now a brooder.

[​IMG]

The turkeys and a Buckeye or two in the other side of the rabbit hutch brooder.

[​IMG]

They are sooooo cute when they are under a week old.

[​IMG]

And here's the market birds growing fatter and fatter at 4 and 5 weeks old respectively.

6. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    welcome back.

congratulations on the diy incubator.

I would like to see pictures of the regal red turkeys when they grow. I don't think I have ever seen that breed.

brian

7. mlaff

Mar 25, 2012
    I chalk it up to a learning experience. Lol. It is the gene that makes them chocolate. I am actually using them to breed to the silkies to make a chocolate silkie. Decided taking on a project would help me with not buying every little cute chick I see. ;) doesn't help that with the choc orp eggs I am getting lemon bar colored turkens, bantam turkens, and a mixture of paint, cuckoo, and black silkies. :D the blacks are for breeding to the choc orps. The rest are just for fun.

8. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    I have the gene in old English, was tossing up matting for fawn/choclolate cochin. if you don't do any good with the orps, I may have something extra in cochin for you late fall or early spring.

9. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    if you don't watch it, your gonna be buying feed by the half ton like me! I remember thinking we will never go through a 50 lb bag of starter. now I go through a bag and a half a week LOL.

on the other end of it, I love what I do. I wish I had more time for individual chicken attention. by the time we get done feeding and watering, moving what needs moved, doing medical treatments if needed, cleaning a few cages, and re watering my day is about done. I do tend to let cage cleaning go a little through the winter until about January, then im usually kicking myself in the rear getting ready for breeding season.

10. mlaff

Mar 25, 2012
    Ok thanks. I don't know why I picked orps, think it was their butts had more fluff than the wyandottes. I am supposed to be getting more black pullet silkies for the choc roo. But with my luck ill either not hatch anything or only pullets. ;) hopefully it's just pullets instead of none. That way I could at least finance my next set of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by