OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by twincreekfarm, Jul 25, 2007.

1. mlaff

mlaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    I have 3 girls and a boy. Out of all 4 my baby has my chicken obsession. Especially silkies. She calls them her fluffys. She lets them out everyday and gives them their afternoon food and water. She is the one that tels the meat chickens they are ugly but " it's ok because you'll be in my belly." The other three help but they are not as excited about them.

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    my youngest 2 daughters are the most interested. the youngest loves the silkies and polish (are you sure shes not your kid?). the next one up loves the phoenix breed. I am partial to old English and rare orpingtons, my wife is a bantam cochin fan. I guess its not hard to figure out how we got all the chickens LOL

my granddaughter loves the "teenage chickens" we take her out and let her watch as we feed them grass. she just giggles and wont take her eyes off of them. she wants to hold one but shes not ready yet (obviously at 2 months)

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  3. mlaff

Mar 25, 2012
    Lol. My oldest had two orps that she loved but one was attacked and the other kept killing the newbies so we gave her to my DH family for supper. Since then she lost interest. I love silkies, sizzles, turkens.....anything that is different. We still have our egg layers but most of them are from rural king. Except our frizzled Americana we got from a breeder. She is the softest prettiest thing.

4. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    most of my orps are to lazy to be violent. that's kind of the reason I like them. rhode island reds on the other hand.... I find them to be mean to other breeds but excellent egg layers. we have to keep them separated from the rest of the birds.

5. mlaff

Mar 25, 2012
    We have a RIR. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'm putting our 4 week olds outside with the older ones as well asthe new ones.For the most part when they free range they leave each other alone. The cockerels scuffle a little but nothing bad. A couple of days of free ranging together and nights separate should work them up to being together all the time. Hopefully then I can go down to one brooder so my husband will hush for awhile. I have 6 different containers with chickens in them. If my hatch goes well I will have 3 again by the middle of June.

Since you have orps any suggestions to sexing them? I my hope is to keep 2 or 3 pullets and 2 cockerels. If I hatch that many. I will definatley be figuring out how to fit the eggs in there, but at least 1/2 are silkies, paint,black, and cuckoo.

6. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    at birth roosters have bigger toes and legs usually. at a month roosters will be showing waddles and more comb development. I don't know if they have to be bred for this or not, but some people claim you can feather sex them by their wing feathers. I have no luck with this myself but it may be worth looking up.

7. Stevens21

Stevens21 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Mount Orab Ohio
    Does anyone know what time the trade show opens tomorrow? I want to get there early.

8. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    if your talking about Lucasville it never truly closes. there will be a descent crowd at about 6 am. most booths will be open by 7. after noon its pretty well dead on sundays.

9. Stevens21

Stevens21 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Mount Orab Ohio
    Thank you, I should have went today, but a friend and I are going on a mission tomorrow to see if we can find a female pigmy, I want some pullet marans and possibly some turkeys =)

10. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    be very careful of turkeys there, I have bought there myself with descent luck. when we had our pulorum tests mike told us that it runs very high in turkeys. the last thing you want to do is get that in your flock.

on the marans there is a guy who sells from the bev davis line. im not sure if he is there this time. I have gotten a few from him and they are excellent birds. it just seems every maran I get is an egg eater. constantly trimming beaks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by