OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

be very careful of turkeys there, I have bought there myself with descent luck. when we had our pulorum tests mike told us that it runs very high in turkeys. the last thing you want to do is get that in your flock.

on the marans there is a guy who sells from the bev davis line. im not sure if he is there this time. I have gotten a few from him and they are excellent birds. it just seems every maran I get is an egg eater. constantly trimming beaks.
Oh thanks for the warning! I might hold off on the turkeys from there then and maybe wait for tractor supply. I am still new to know what to look for, so I will try to look for that line. =)

what type of turkeys are you looking for? most of what tsc sells are birds for butcher. I don't have any for sale at the moment as mine are still young, but I have blue slate and standard bronze. thinking of adding royal palm and burbon red.

if you haven't raised them, turkeys are a little hard to raise from poults, keep them warm and well watered. use medicated turkey starter (not chick starter) if you have a small flock of chickens with no history of illness you might be able to get by with unmedicated. keep the turkeys and the chickens separate. chickens can carry blackhead with no symptoms, blackhead is fatal to turkeys.

this is just my advice and is not to be taken as "gold advice", just telling you what works for me.

what type of turkeys are you looking for? most of what tsc sells are birds for butcher. I don't have any for sale at the moment as mine are still young, but I have blue slate and standard bronze. thinking of adding royal palm and burbon red.

if you haven't raised them, turkeys are a little hard to raise from poults, keep them warm and well watered. use medicated turkey starter (not chick starter) if you have a small flock of chickens with no history of illness you might be able to get by with unmedicated. keep the turkeys and the chickens separate. chickens can carry blackhead with no symptoms, blackhead is fatal to turkeys.

this is just my advice and is not to be taken as "gold advice", just telling you what works for me.
Right now we have a mixed flock of chickens, we were thinking of getting some turkeys for the meat, but it sounds like we might need to do more research before getting them.

if your talking about Lucasville it never truly closes. there will be a descent crowd at about 6 am. most booths will be open by 7. after noon its pretty well dead on sundays.

Thank you, I should have went today, but a friend and I are going on a mission tomorrow to see if we can find a female pigmy, I want some pullet marans and possibly some turkeys =) 

Assuming you mean goat, you'll have no problem finding a Pygmy doe. ;) I was there this morning (more chickens woo! And a defective duckling..lol) and goats galore! Almost got another little doe myself but decided there wasn't room in the car. Crowd wasn't bad at all in the morning either. Started picking up as I left at 10.
Also saw one place selling specifically very nice Marans. Not familiar with lines, but they were beautiful.

Last edited:
Assuming you mean goat, you'll have no problem finding a Pygmy doe. ;) I was there this morning (more chickens woo! And a defective duckling..lol) and goats galore! Almost got another little doe myself but decided there wasn't room in the car. Crowd wasn't bad at all in the morning either. Started picking up as I left at 10.
Also saw one place selling specifically very nice Marans. Not familiar with lines, but they were beautiful.

Is it hard to raise pygmys? My husband was talking about letting me get "one" (I think 2) but I don't know much about them except they are adorable.

My youngest had to bury her first chick today. My friend's daughter was over and they decided to play with their chicks. I told them not to mess with the babies too much. Well, my daughter decided to try and put it under the brooder because I guess it was warm. She came in screaming saying another one in there must of picked on it because it couldn't stand. After saying it was sleeping she checked and said it was flapping its wings. I went outside and it was dead. After playing detective she said she was trying to get it under the brooder. I told her I'd dig a hole and she has to bury it. Made sure she understood why I don't like her messing with the very young ones because they can die easily. She sucked up the tears and did it. Lesson learned for her today. They maybe cute, but we need to leave them be until they start feathering unless I am there.

Is it hard to raise pygmys? My husband was talking about letting me get "one" (I think 2) but I don't know much about them except they are adorable.

That's pretty much it - adorable. Hehe! Maybe someone more into goats can answer this a little better; our Pygmy doe is our only goat, so she's spoiled. She was skittish as could be when we got her and I spent so much time with her, she literally thinks she's a lap goat now. Thinks she's 'too good' to eat weeds like a common goat. :p Even gets to come in the house on extremely hot days lol! She's not hard to raise at all. Besides going out of the way to buy goat feed, you'd hardly realize she's there. We got her as a 4 month old, and she's only about a year now. It may be different when you get into multiples, though. Maybe someone else with pygmies can chime in. :D

Aw, sorry to hear that mlaff. Heck, I'm an adult and blubber like a baby when I lose one. Sad she had to learn it the hard way, but at least she did learn. :)

Aw, sorry to hear that mlaff. Heck, I'm an adult and blubber like a baby when I lose one. Sad she had to learn it the hard way, but at least she did learn. :)

She did thankfully. This is the third one we had to bury so far. I'm pretty sure she may have broken its back shoving it under there.

On a good note, we put all of our older chicks in the new run together today. There was a little fussing and pecking but the pretty much stayed in their own areas and left each each other alone. This is the first day of doing it. I plan on doing it for a week or so and then I will leave them in coop instead of separating them for bed. Then it's time to integrate the other babies. Almost done with the brooders just to fill them back up 3 weeks from whenever I finally put my eggs in the incubator.;)

Back
Top Bottom