OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by twincreekfarm, Jul 25, 2007.

1. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    Hi everyone! I just had a very poor hatch of shipped eggs. Despite Wisher1000's wonderful packaging, they came a long way and were beat up. Out of 14 eggs 1 chick hatched. 3 were early deaths, 4 were late deaths, and 7 were scrambled. The chick that hatched is an adorable Silver Campine. She is very healthy and will run around the brooder, eat, and drink. However, I don't want her to be alone. When she is big enough I was planning on introducing her to my already existing flock of 4 hens. But I am a little worried to do that if she is all by herself. So my question is, does anyone have chicks that are a week old or younger that they are trying to get rid of or sell? I am not picky on the breed but I would like it to be a good layer. Thanks!

Here is a picture of my Silver Campine chick. I still need a name for her.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  2. Stevens21

Stevens21 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Mount Orab Ohio
    She is very pretty. I won't know if any of mine are going to hatch till the 17th, they will all be mix breeds about 15 eggs were donated from a few friends of mine.

3. cluckitall

cluckitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Mansfield OH
    My Coop
    Oh, what a pretty!!! She's adorable :) I have an accidental isbar/black bresse cross chick who's a week old tomorrow, but I have no idea if it's a boy or girl (I really need to learn vent sexing!) or how it will lay, but I bet it's the only isbar/back bresse cross in Ohio :)

Where are you located?

4. cluckitall

Jun 6, 2012
    Mansfield OH
    My Coop
    lol! I missed that last night, mlaff. That's a riot!!! And oh my gosh, a chocolate silkie would be wonderful -- what a great project!

Yeah, I built a "playpen" for the sulmtalers yesterday -- they're getting waaay too big for their brooder -- but I made them come back in last night. They're too little to be out in that cold :)

5. cluckitall

Jun 6, 2012
    Mansfield OH
    My Coop
    I am so glad I'm not the only person who loses track of my chicks! I've been hatching out a lot of eggs this winter/spring from new-to-me breeds -- I knew what the adults look like, but the chicks? Nope [​IMG] Took a long time to figure out what was what. I'm so sorry to hear about the power outage!

I've got to do some pictures today so I'll snap some of the little ones :)

6. cluckitall

Jun 6, 2012
    Mansfield OH
    My Coop
    All I can say for sure is I haven't managed to find anybody who's got 'em yet! That'd be so cool if you did :)

7. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    Thanks! I am in Hillsboro Ohio. It is a little over an hour away from Dayton.

8. cluckitall

Jun 6, 2012
    Mansfield OH
    My Coop
    Seems like somebody down that way must have a chick or two to spare!! :)

9. Stevens21

Stevens21 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Mount Orab Ohio
    You are not far from me, I'm in Mount Orab.

I am getting chicks tomorrow hopefully, but I paid a lot for them =( It's hard to find Maran's around here so I should be getting 6 black copper and 4 blue coppers. We got a Free Black Copper rooster about 3 months old but it somehow got out of the pen today =( I am very sad about that. I think these will be straight run though. Then on the 21st I find out if any of mine hatch from the incubator.

10. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    i can tell you that here, in south central ohio there is a chick shortage. i hatch an average of 200 a week, on large breeds i still cant hatch enough. i wanted to be known as the guy who had cheap chicks that are of good quality, but i think im going to have to raise my prices a little. i know on black copper French marans i have had to turn people away. i only have 2 pairs that for some reason are both egg eaters. im working on trying to get a flock of about 5-7 trios for next year. my wife and i have been talking about adding another 16 feet to our first barn and building a second barn the same size. the problem with this is we have put so much money out of our own pockets, acquiring descent stock and caging the chickens. we are starting to run low on money. i know there are grants and loans for our type of business, but we wanted to do this on our own. right now the farm is about $25,000 in debt to our savings.
    local people talk about how much money this farm makes. they don't realize that to add an excellent breeder quality trio costs us $75 for a pen and $60-125 for the birds. if i cant find a good local breeder i will order 50 hatchery stock, then i pick the best trio saving an extra rooster to start my own breeding stock. if i paid $2 a chick and took in account for the feed to raise them, i probably have about $200 in that trio.
    through this year i have sold my chicks (retail) at $1.25 for common large fowl, $2 for common bantams. of course the rare stuff is higher up to $8 for the basque when i have them available some of the newer breeds i have may go a little higher.

chickenpooplady if you don't care what breed, i have some hatching right now. i don't know how many of what breeds i have left, but im sure i have some extras.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by