OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Edit to add... How'd you get my name to show up as a link like that?

I just type the @ and then the user name right after it. It will bring up a small dropdown menu based on the first letters of users that match.

Hi @Jamiefay ! I'm in Wadsworth with my first batch of chicks!

Hi everyone,

I am having a chicken math 'problem' and figured I should seek out the 'professors' here.
I have Orpington/Cemani cross chickens and would like to know if anyone would be interested in adults, chicks or fertile eggs for fibro projects?
My first test batches are hatching nice looking chicks...

I also have, what appears to me, a 'pair' of Java from fellow BYC'r (haThor). Looks like a Mottled pullet and a Black cockerel...

My EE/AC-Orp chicks came from a green egg layer hen who carries the blue egg gene and my Blue Isbar also lays nicely colored eggs...

FYI: The Isbar laid the darker and the EE the lighter green and my AC/Orp lay between cream and tinted...they appear pink when first laid!

If you or anyone you know has interest in helping me with my math 'test' please let me know. I am in the NE.
For local P/U only.

Thanks

HugHess

Hi Everyone,

We are in Pataskala and new to raising chickens. We have 8 chicks, 2 Golden Commets, 2 Australorps, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Aracaunas. I have tons of questions, and my non-chicken friends just don't get it! I look forward to talking to you all!!!

I'm just going to start spewing my questions out there!!! I apologize if some of these seem obvious...

Based on the weather we've been having, and are forecasted to have, when do you think it will be safe to put chicks outside? Right now, I have everyone in my garage with heat lamps. I have eight week olds, and 6 week olds. It looks like it might be warm enough to put the eight week olds out next week, but wanted to make sure! I am really trying to avoid having to put the heat lamps in my coop.

Speaking of putting the chickens in the coop - I have a coop tractor with an attached run. Now that I've had it for a while, I'm sorry I got it, and didn't go with a different design, but that's another post. I've read that you need to train the chickens to go into the coop and roost at night, however, my coop doesn't have human access so should I just put the chickens in the coop and hope for the best at night?

For someone who had so many questions, that's all I can think of for now. I appreciate any guidance you guys have.

Oh, also, if there are any other chicken people in the Pataskala/Etna area I would love to hear from you!!

I'm just going to start spewing my questions out there!!! I apologize if some of these seem obvious...

Based on the weather we've been having, and are forecasted to have, when do you think it will be safe to put chicks outside? Right now, I have everyone in my garage with heat lamps. I have eight week olds, and 6 week olds. It looks like it might be warm enough to put the eight week olds out next week, but wanted to make sure! I am really trying to avoid having to put the heat lamps in my coop.

Speaking of putting the chickens in the coop - I have a coop tractor with an attached run. Now that I've had it for a while, I'm sorry I got it, and didn't go with a different design, but that's another post. I've read that you need to train the chickens to go into the coop and roost at night, however, my coop doesn't have human access so should I just put the chickens in the coop and hope for the best at night?

For someone who had so many questions, that's all I can think of for now. I appreciate any guidance you guys have.

Oh, also, if there are any other chicken people in the Pataskala/Etna area I would love to hear from you!!

As for putting them in the coop. When they are feathered out in my experience they are good to be out in the coop. If you go with the 95 degrees when hatched and lower the temp by 5 every week, well you get the idea. If they are not staying huddled under the current light in the brooder you have, I would let them go. Chickens are very resilient and hardy.

The tractor, chickens are birds of habit, they will return to there coop every night. As long as you have an attached run, as you stated, they will be fine. I would give them about 2 weeks to know where home is and then i would be fine opening the gate/door on the run and letting them free range. They will return. Enjoy your chickens they are a wonderful addicting hobby!

Oh my! Do yourself a favor and get those guys outside. As long as there's enough of them for huddling, they''ll do fine. My birds are out at 5-6 weeks, WITHOUT heat lamps. My 3 week olds spent about 6 hours out in the run today.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom