OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Although I don't personally raise quail I have heard they can be a rather delicate bird. Eggs frequently don't hatch and the chicks are so tiny they need extra attention. They can be rather noisy as well. Especially during mating season!

I brood my quail with chicks after they are about 10 days old & move them to their own pens at 4-5 weeks old. I have kept them in cages right next to my chickens in the barn during the winter & never had any issues at all. I brood everything from quail & chicks to turkeys & peachicks together. The only thing I separate is waterfowl. I have coturnix, lf & bantam chicks & turkey poults all brooding together right now. I do separate the quail before they begin to lay, but have never had casualties from illness caused by cages being close to other birds.
didn't know you acquired quail! :) I love mine.

This past winter is the first time I've been without quail in several years. Sold them off to my aunt because I didn't have a place to winter them when I moved. I have 3 week olds running un the bantam brooder right now.

silkiesensation I have seen quail in pens and brooder next to chickens.I really like the space they need. I still with think on it, but I had hoped to raise them for eggs and meat but on a small scale. I was looking into the same breed you have I just haven't mastered spelling it yet.lol!

Coturnix are pretty easy & more hearty than some of the other types. Definitely don't mix them with adult chickens in the same pen, but brooding them with chicks 1-2 weeks younger usually works. I just keep them in with whatever chicks I have close to their size until they are close to full grown then they go in breeder pens.

Although I don't personally raise quail I have heard they can be a rather delicate bird. Eggs frequently don't hatch and the chicks are so tiny they need extra attention. They can be rather noisy as well. Especially during mating season!

I've had bobwhites, tennessee reds & coturnix. I love the sound the bobs & reds make. They can be a bit noisy at times, especially when the males call back & forth. Coturnix sound like little lazer zaps from a video game. They are by far the quietest birds I have ever owned. Chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, guineas & peafowl are much noisier. I could never get button quail to hatch so I gave up on those. Coturnix, bobwhite & tennessee reds hatch great for me, even shipped. As for extra attention, I just use a small shallow water dish the first 10 days or so & stuff toilet paper in it so they can walk right across & not fall in. Drowning is the biggest issue. Haven't had 1 drown since I learned the tp trick. I also ferment their feed so bigger crumbles or even pellets aren't a problem. They pick around the whole grains in my feed mix, so I usually just leave them on my higher protein chick feed & sprinkle it with the dust from the bottom of the calcium bag about twice per week once they start laying.

Last edited:
This past winter is the first time I've been without quail in several years. Sold them off to my aunt because I didn't have a place to winter them when I moved. I have 3 week olds running un the bantam brooder right now.
Coturnix are pretty easy & more hearty than some of the other types. Definitely don't mix them with adult chickens in the same pen, but brooding them with chicks 1-2 weeks younger usually works. I just keep them in with whatever chicks I have close to their size until they are close to full grown then they go in breeder pens.
I've had bobwhites, tennessee reds & coturnix. I love the sound the bobs & reds make. They can be a bit noisy at times, especially when the males call back & forth. Coturnix sound like little lazer zaps from a video game. They are by far the quietest birds I have ever owned. Chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, guineas & peafowl are much noisier. I could never get button quail to hatch so I gave up on those. Coturnix, bobwhite & tennessee reds hatch great for me, even shipped. As for extra attention, I just use a small shallow water dish the first 10 days or so & stuff toilet paper in it so they can walk right across & not fall in. Drowning is the biggest issue. Haven't had 1 drown since I learned the tp trick. I also ferment their feed so bigger crumbles or even pellets aren't a problem. They pick around the whole grains in my feed mix, so I usually just leave them on my higher protein chick feed & sprinkle it with the dust from the bottom of the calcium bag about twice per week once they start laying.

Whoa! tp trick?? I wish I could save that post bit haven't yet found how!
I've had good luck with the quail waterers. Too small for them to drown in and they can't kick them full of shaving if you stick a block of wood or card board under them.

Di Antonios pizza is the best!

I used to live on Coon Club Rd. I still get that way. Lately I've been getting my shavings/bedding at Spencer Feed.

Here are our ladies. They are about to start Purina Layena feed, and hopefully soon we will have eggs!:

Back
Top Bottom