OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Do you have pics available?
HugHess,
I cannot post pics yet so I snapped a pic with my phone and posted it as my avatar. I can email you more if you like, just send a message to my PM. His Daddy was a full black Ameracauna and his mom was a Golden Comet, the pullets that hatched all had black stripes on them when they were hatched and are now coming our fuller with black in their feathers. The roos are a little different I don't know where they got this white to them, but they are turning out with a really nice look.

So I hatched out some Orphingtons at Halloween - and they all are roos! If anyone in the Cincinnati area would like some nice Orphington roosters send me a PM. We can talk about price but I would like to do $15 each. Local pickup only. Birds are from Papa's Poultry in California - he has some nice birds.

All are just over 4 weeks old
2 Lavender
3 Black
1 Blue
2 Lemon Cuckoo
1 Chocolate

So I hatched out some Orphingtons at Halloween - and they all are roos! If anyone in the Cincinnati area would like some nice Orphington roosters send me a PM. We can talk about price but I would like to do $15 each. Local pickup only. Birds are from Papa's Poultry in California - he has some nice birds.

All are just over 4 weeks old
2 Lavender
3 Black
1 Blue
2 Lemon Cuckoo
1 Chocolate
What a bummer that you ended up with all boys! Although I am glad to hear you too are impressed/pleased with Papa's Poultry/Jeff--I've been watching his fb site for quite awhile, but the distance deterred me...untl Monday when he began posting his cyber-Monday deals and I could no longer resist! I have 8+ 'rainbow pack of pullets" coming Feb/Mar--OE, Rhodebars, CCL....breeds I've had on my wishlist...can't wait! My boy/girl ratio has been pretty poor the last two years when I've ordered from breeders, spent more time selling/re-homing cockerels than enjoying the babies. Ended up with 11 boys out of 17 chicks this past spring, kept one (already have one). Good luck with yours!

So... I got a free roo today and already have 9 hens. I have no clue how to introduce him to my flock or how they may react. I also know nothing about how they mate, when they mate or what to do with the eggs. Lol I know I am ill informed on the situation but it just kind of fell in my lap. Any information iis much appreciated.

Last edited:
So... I got a free roo today and already have 9 hens. I have no clue how to introduce him to my flock or how they may react. I also know nothing about how they mate, when they mate or what to do with the eggs. Lol I know I am ill informed on the situation but it just kind of fell in my lap. Any information iis much appreciated.
if he's new to your farm keep him quarantined for 30 days away from your current flock as a precaution for diseases. After the 30 days you want to introduce him with a fence between him and the hens for a week or so and then introduce him into the flock at night so the hens just wake up with him the next morning. This method produces the least amount of stress and fighting.

You can eat fertilized eggs. They will not hurt you in any way. Some people are just grossed out by the fact they are fetile.

The first time he mates a hen, especially if he's young, you're probably going to think they're killing each other. Young roosters are rough on hens and it takes time for them to get the hang of things. They tend to do a little circle dance with a wing dropped and then they will grab then hen by the feathers on the back of her head and jump on her back. Usually it's a few seconds and he's done.

if he's new to your farm keep him quarantined for 30 days away from your current flock as a precaution for diseases. After the 30 days you want to introduce him with a fence between him and the hens for a week or so and then introduce him into the flock at night so the hens just wake up with him the next morning. This method produces the least amount of stress and fighting.

You can eat fertilized eggs. They will not hurt you in any way. Some people are just grossed out by the fact they are fetile.

The first time he mates a hen, especially if he's young, you're probably going to think they're killing each other. Young roosters are rough on hens and it takes time for them to get the hang of things. They tend to do a little circle dance with a wing dropped and then they will grab then hen by the feathers on the back of her head and jump on her back. Usually it's a few seconds and he's done.
Thank you. I am not worried about eating fertilized eggs,I'm just not sure I won't know which hen he mated with when I want chicks.

Thank you. I am not worried about eating fertilized eggs,I'm just not sure I won't know which hen he mated with when I want chicks.
you can tell a fertilized egg when you crack it open. You'll find a bullseye where you'd normally just find a white dot in the yolk. If he's mating 1,he's mating them all. Give him about a week or 2 weeks to cover all the hens. One rooster can normally handle 8-10 hens. You can google search fertilized chocolate chicken eggs pictures and see the bullseye.

I need to get rid of my black australorp rooster
hit.gif
He is gorgeous but doesn't leave the hens alone. I have been getting 3-4 eggs a day out of 28 hens now I have him in a cage I have been getting 10-12 a day. I definitely know now it was him causing them stress to not lay.

He's my pretty boy but the girls come first! If anyone is close and would like to meet me somewhere please pm me and let me know!

Back
Top Bottom