OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Nice! And when it snows does it collect the snow or does it fall through?
the snow falls through. I've used the same thing on my rub to stop owls. The snow builds a small amount on the individual wires but always falls through the holes.

My response to dogs running loose & bothering my properly confined animals is a shotgun blast. You have the right to shoot any predator (domestic or otherwise) that attacks your livestock. I would be reminding the neighbor of this fact. My son has rolled more than 1 roaming mutt that crossed into our yard & went after our animals.

As for replacing birds, I have some rainbow chicks under 7 weeks old available & more hatching. I'm near Cambridge but have to come as far north as Canton on Wed next week. Let me know if you're interested.

And I believe next time this will be my response. I was so angry. Those were my girls!! They were good to the kids followed me around the run and were so sweet. Not to mention great layers. And I might be able to go to canton! I'll pm Ya
263a.png

My son (who lives just outside Canton & is the reason for my trip) may also have a few adult birds available. He just told me he's selling some of his.

@zoey87 , Very sorry to hear about your chickens
sad.png
. Most sorry for you that your neighbors did not accept the responsibility and take care of consequences caused by their dog. About 2 months ago DHs English setter got loose & attacked my flock & then ran off and attacked the neighbor's flock. She killed 4 of mine, injured another. She killed 2 of the neighbor's. (I think. It is all a bad blur memory). Anyways, the neighbor caught the dog & called the phone # on the tag. We went to pick her up & talked with them. They were very understanding & we were very remorseful. I brought them 3 laying hens to replace theirs and a rooster because they wanted one & I have extra (always). We were very fortunate they understood, did not kill our dog & did not sue us. A few weeks later their flock was attacked by raccoons. They immediately thought it was our dog & ran over here to check. Luckily our dog didn't do it this time. We have taken extra measures to make sure she doesn't get loose again. After he found & eliminated the raccoons I gave him a couple more chickens. I do have a lot of chickens, but they are all precious to me.

2 weeks ago he brought back one of my hens. Oddly enough HIS dog attacked her & hurt her leg. He said he didn't have the heart to kill her. I put her in a cage to limit her mobility. She is fine now & gives me eggs everyday. Due to our misfortune from our dog, we now are friends with people we wouldn't otherwise have known. I am so sorry that your neighbors were not responsible people and it seems the justice system has failed you as well. I hope good things come your way.

@zoey87 I should also add that I am very far from you, but if you are ever in the Cincinnati area, give me a shout out & I'll see what I have that may help you.

I would really like to just put 6 foot chain link up all around the yard and let them run during the day and put them in at night. Anyone do that? We usually put them in at night anyways. I don't know if they would stay within the fence though. With the chicken wire fence we used to have they stayed in because I clipped their wings, but would more freedom cause them to try to jump a fence?

If I can just throw something out there. If you usually put them in at night, you are likely going to get another lesson, this time probably from raccoons, that until you button them up tight at dark, each and every night this won't be your last occurrence of this type. I'm sure I'm not alone here, but has been many a time we have left things early, or run home at half time of school events to close coops. Hope this doesn't come off as preachy, just giving you a heads up.

@zoey87
,  Very sorry to hear about your chickens:( .  Most sorry for you that your neighbors did not accept the responsibility and take care of consequences caused by their dog.   About 2 months ago DHs English setter got loose & attacked my flock & then ran off and attacked the neighbor's flock.  She killed 4 of mine, injured another.  She killed 2 of the neighbor's.  (I think.  It is all a bad blur memory).  Anyways, the neighbor caught the dog & called the phone # on the tag.  We went to pick her up & talked with them.  They were very understanding & we were very remorseful.  I brought them 3 laying hens to replace theirs and a rooster because they wanted one & I have extra (always).  We were very fortunate they understood, did not kill our dog & did not sue us.    A few weeks later their flock was attacked by raccoons.  They immediately thought it was our dog & ran over here to check.  Luckily our dog didn't do it this time. We have taken extra measures to make sure she doesn't get loose again.  After he found & eliminated the raccoons I gave him a couple more chickens.  I do have a lot of chickens, but they are all precious to me. 

2 weeks ago he brought back one of my hens.  Oddly enough HIS dog attacked her & hurt her leg.  He said he didn't have the heart to kill her.  I put her in a cage to limit her mobility.  She is fine now & gives me eggs everyday.  Due to our misfortune from our dog, we now are friends with people we wouldn't otherwise have known.  I am so sorry that your neighbors were not responsible people and it seems the justice system has failed you as well.   I hope good things come your way. 

Thank you, I wish our neighbors were as responsible as you are. We would love to be friends with her but she's just not having it.

We're in defiance and have a 2 broody golden phoenix should have chicks soon. We also have some 4 week Olds

Golden Phoenix are so pretty. I would to try out an incubator, were in archbold so we're super close! I can pm you!

Lots of birds in need of good homes...

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/28154309/

Thanks for the link checking it out now.

If I can just throw something out there. If youusually put them in at night, you are likely going to get another lesson, this time probably from raccoons, that until you button them up tight at dark, each and every night this won't be your last occurrence of this type.  I'm sure I'm not alone here, but has been many a time we have left things early, or run home at half time of school events to close coops. Hope this doesn't come off as preachy, just giving you a heads up.

Just to clarify hubs let the chickens out at 5:30 before he left for work, which this incident happened shortly after that. I don't like to use absolutely like "always" and "never". I understand the importance of taking them in every night but thank you for the advice!!
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom