OHIO NATIONAL 2010 UPDATE - January 23rd

RYU: I hear ya. Yeah unfortunately that is a no win for everyone. I guess we need to just get more people into raising and showing birds. High tide raises all boats, or something like that. lolol

I am going this year, and I'm bringing Seramas, bantam Cochins, and Silkies! I'm concerned about security, though. There are a lot of people walking around with a lot of birds all day, and there's no way to confirm that these people actually own them. A Serama owner was missing two hens at the end of the show last year. Monetary loss aside, I would be devastated if someone took my pets, and the whole place would see a 36 year old woman cry! Is this common?

Quote:
Excellent point. This past show Bill Guardhouse lost a pullet to some of those people walk around. One was walkin away with a Top Show SLW pullet.

Quote:
I haven't heard of anyone who had a small lock or a zip tie on the door losing a bird. I don't think it happens often, or anymore than any other show, but I do know someone who lost a bird a few years back.

Quote:
I haven't heard of anyone who had a small lock or a zip tie on the door losing a bird. I don't think it happens often, or anymore than any other show, but I do know someone who lost a bird a few years back.

Most birds that are lost at a show are the result of haste. Usually in the rush to "coop out" the wrong bird is removed from the cage or perhaps just forgotten completely. This is why some thing holding the cage door closed causes the person who is intent on grabbing the birds and getting on the road is so effective. It causes them pause to consider what they are doing.

Yes- birds do get stolen at shows. But really very few.

Fact- at The OHIO NATIONAL we expect to have about 1% of the birds entered in the show to be there when we tear down. Last year there were nearly 80 birds moved to the cages on Champion Row for holding. Many of these bird mix-ups were sorted out and everyone was happy. Some of those birds were nothing more than culls that the owners just left behind for the show management to deal with. Thanks a lot!

If everyone was more careful this would hardly be a problem. Show management would like for the problem to go away but we have to depend on the exhibitors to watch out for themselves and others.

I never had to worry about anyone stealing my birds – they were never that good. I would have been honored if someone thought that they were so valuable that they were worth stealing.

Quote:
It's really pretty simple. The big thing is to not leave prepping the birds to the last minute. Depending on the breed, but usually about a 1-2 weeks before the show make sure they are clean (this might involve a bath), beaks and toenails trimmed, and thouroughly checked for mites ect.

Here's the website: http://www.ohionational.org/

Read
the show rules. Entries are due in Oct. You can 'Coop in' at 11am on Friday Nov. 12th, your birds must be in the cages by 9am on Nov.13th. Birds are released after the last award is presented on the 14th, then you can coop out. There are big doors on one side, for lack of directions, the 'back side' of the building. If you have a lot of cages it's really easiest to pull up there and unload you birds then go find a parking spot. You should goto the front dest and check in. You get you exhibitor passes and an exhibitor list (guard it with your life, they will become very rare as the weekend progresses!--it lists all the exhibitors so if you need to get in touch with someone you have their info).

I bring a small show box with extra plastic cups, clothespins, a couple old wash rags, a little Ivory soap (for emergency cleanup), Pinks (a shine spray), a little olive oil or Burt's bees lipbalm for dry combs, some wet wipes (to clean me up!), extra pair of nail clippers and nail file, in case I need to do some trimming. I usually keep a sharpie, index cards, and a few paperclips so I can leave messages on cages on sale birds if the exhibitor/seller isn't around.

You don't have to be by your cages all the time, but you are expected to feed and water your birds. A cup for water is provided, and there are water jugs and a faucet to fill them in the show hall. Some exhibitors do not fed, or don't fed much the day of the show, so their Crop isn't distended. You can put the feed on the floor of the cage, or put up your own cup. There is 'Show Feed' provided, it is for the use of the exhibitors and you should feel free to use it. We usually bring a pail of our own food, but that's just our choice.

You can put your carrying cages and other items under your cages. It can get kind of crowded, but we haven't lost a dog crate or carrying box yet (knock on wood). You can also buy a little lock or zip tie your cage door shut, but the lock or tie have to be removed for the judging or your bird won't get judged.

Other than that, it's polite to stay out of the row when the judges are working. They usually rope the aisle off so it's pretty obvious.

If you have aquestion, just ask. Most exhibitors are more than willing to help out. Hope to see you there!

ETA: The cages have bedding in them. It's actually frowned on to bring your own. If you need more, or it gets wet or soiled there should be more near the show feed.

Thanks Ryu for all the great info. I really appreciate it.
bow.gif

Quote:

Most birds that are lost at a show are the result of haste. Usually in the rush to "coop out" the wrong bird is removed from the cage or perhaps just forgotten completely. This is why some thing holding the cage door closed causes the person who is intent on grabbing the birds and getting on the road is so effective. It causes them pause to consider what they are doing.

Yes- birds do get stolen at shows. But really very few.

Fact- at The OHIO NATIONAL we expect to have about 1% of the birds entered in the show to be there when we tear down. Last year there were nearly 80 birds moved to the cages on Champion Row for holding. Many of these bird mix-ups were sorted out and everyone was happy. Some of those birds were nothing more than culls that the owners just left behind for the show management to deal with. Thanks a lot!

If everyone was more careful this would hardly be a problem. Show management would like for the problem to go away but we have to depend on the exhibitors to watch out for themselves and others.

I never had to worry about anyone stealing my birds – they were never that good. I would have been honored if someone thought that they were so valuable that they were worth stealing.

It is amazing how often the exhibitors grab the wrong bird or forget how many they brought an leave them at the show. Some body forgot some bantam frizzle sumatras at our last show--how could you forget you brought something like that!

Every bird I bring has a metal leg band and I write the number on the back of the tag. When I coop out I pull the tag off the coop and throw it in the box with the bird. It was handy at another show when someone came up and accused me of taking their bird. I was able to open up all my boxes and show them my tags. It turns out one of her friends was helping her coop out and didn't tell her.

Sometimes when people buy out of the show cages I think mixups can occur there too. I almost took home the wrong pair of birds once. If I hadn't had an exhibitor list to check, I would have walked out with them thinking I owned them. I try to write sold and the initials of the buyer on the tag to make it clear which birds are theirs.

We had a Jr. lose a duck at our home show, she came up right before we were going to release everyone crying. Well, what are you going to do. We held everyone to find the duck--it took 15 minutes, and many complaints from exhibitors who wanted to leave, but we found it. I don't think we would have if we let everyone go. Once we opened the big doors it would have been gone. It had gotten out and was hiding under a row of coops.

No one knows IF it was intentional. Most likely as you said they had someone helping them coop out and the unknowing helper grabbed the wrong bird. I was told ( I have never shown, what do I know ) to coop in late and coop out early to avoid these types of issues.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to switch the topic to theft, sorry. I really AM excited about showing this year, and I think the ON is the only show I've found so far that fits my work schedule. Last year, I went out dancing at a club I've never been to before (I used to live in Columbus) and I had a blast. Would love to go out with a group this year as well!

Our family ADORES the OH National show. It's our favorite poultry show, hands down.

I do second the suggestion for zip ties for cages, we do not only the front doors but tops and sides of one batch of cages to each other. Small locks work for really valuable birds. We zip tie our cages anytime we leave the show hall (which we don't usually do until the end of the day.)

Back
Top Bottom