Ok Chick won the feed battle

Deb T

Songster
Dec 5, 2016
Whitesboro Tx
My Coop
My Coop

My 3 Ameraucana chicks have been spilling the feed into the brooder and then spilling the water on top of it and the covering the access of the feeder and waterer with the pine shavings and making a big mess. I have been changing the pine shaving 2 times per day because of this behavior. They are eating the resulting mess they make. I give up. They win this battle. I am now taking a plastic container and putting feed mixed with water in it for them. They love it!

All chicks will spoon out the feed and waste it. Moist feed is okay but it needs to be changed often so it doesn't mold. The feeders you are using are the worse for spooning out. I usually put the feeder inside a shallow bowl to catch the mess. I can't see your waterer but they shouldn't be able to spill it.

All chicks will spoon out the feed and waste it. Moist feed is okay but it needs to be changed often so it doesn't mold. The feeders you are using are the worse for spooning out. I usually put the feeder inside a shallow bowl to catch the mess. I can't see your waterer but they shouldn't be able to spill it.

The waterer is the match to the feeder. But they do spill both. I need to look for a better feeder and waterer that they cant spill the feed from

I put mine up on cobblestone bricks to keep them off the bedding. Otherwise setting them inside some lids like off of ice cream buckets can help. Sitting a waterer straight on bedding can make them unstable, and chicks just walk over them and can tip them.

I put mine up on cobblestone bricks to keep them off the bedding. Otherwise setting them inside some lids like off of ice cream buckets can help. Sitting a waterer straight on bedding can make them unstable, and chicks just walk over them and can tip them.

I have them on top of 2inch plastic containers

Deb, can you hang the feeder and waterer? I use a wire ring that just fits over the mouth of the screw in bottle, and then knot tie a macrame hanger for the feeder/waterer. Other creative souls have used an onion bag, and cut an opening for the mouth of the bottle. If you then hang them from a chain with a S hook, it's super easy to keep raising them to keep them at chest height as the chicks grow. Put a brick under the feeders as they hang, and there is NO way for them to muck them up.

Back
Top Bottom