OK guys, make me feel better.

That's a good suggestion too and one my room mate suggested to me. I think I will set up an appointment with academic advising to see what they say. If I could have this done for even one class, it would make a huge difference!

Quote:
I'm not sure I'll be able to cram in so many credits, but I'm going to see what I can do. I'm a little hesitant to take more than five next semester because if I need to go in the fall I have to be full time. I need to leave at least three to be full time for summer or fall semester. I think summer is a little different than spring and fall, so I may be able to take six and then just two over the summer.

Do you know how advisors at most colleges get to be advisors??

They lose the draw.
hmm.png
No, I am not kidding.

In many (if not most) colleges the faculty are forced to advise and given little to no training on how to advise. To top this off, many are given this added work load - and not given any additional pay. SO, they're doing something they don't know how to do, that takes a ton of extra work for no extra money..... You get the picture.
roll.png

The situation is much worse than it was when I went to college, it really is. I feel very bad for students that this happens to! So
hugs.gif

I tell ALL students to go through the college's requirements for a specific degree and make up a spread sheet. Keep it current throughout your years and ask and ask and ask again. If your advisor is a moron make friends with another prof in your department. Bug the deans..... Be a hemorrhoid! You pay alot of money for this experience make them work FOR you.

This coming semester there is a group of seniors who expect to graduate. They were just told that one of the final classes they MUST take to graduate is only taught by one professor who is going to be on sabbatical next semester so that course will not be offered. When they told me I was infuriated! I encouraged them to see if they could get the same course at another college and then petition this one to force them to accept the credits. As I had expected the college caved. It looks like another professor really is qualified to teach that course.......

Can you try to get them to accept other credits (as was suggested) or take the classes in the summer?? Its at least shorter!! Good luck!
old.gif

DH went through... what was it 4 advisers in 2 years? One got switched before he could even get an appointment to meet him! Not too big a surprise that when he finally got in with this last one they found that one had advised him wrong and instead of having 3 classes + Senior Thesis instead he needed 4 + Thesis... but luckily that was caught this spring so he took two classes over the summer and now he's only taking 2 + Thesis in his final semester. Hard enough, especially with the advanced Logic course *shudder* but I can't imagine if he'd had two more piled on top of this load.

He was lucky though that it was a booky subject, Lit, not a math or science... I don't envy you that load at all.

On the scholarship thing... DH's scholarships didn't cover summer classes but the Pell DOES... so his summer courseload was paid for... trick with that is that you have to take at least 1/2 time... which in the case of summer was taking 1 course for six weeks and then another course in the "2nd Summer Semester" so all told he took 6 hours... half time... paid for. Had he instead taken the 12 week, one subject class then it would only have been 3 hours and thus not half credit. Talk to the financial aid office and see if maybe they could work something like that for you? Maybe not, but definitely worth asking about. And the advisers here never had a CLUE about financials, barely got the actually classes (that they were teaching!) right, so call up that office for straight answers.

Can you CLEP out of it? Most colleges have a testing office. If you pass the test you get credit for the class. There is a cost, but it is less than taking the class.

We are in the same boat. After sitting down with my degree checklist with my adviser, she informed me that I had taken the WRONG sections of Gen Chm 1, 2, and Organic Chemistry. I tried to get the Chemistry department to accept my credits, but they said they were no longer allowing students to substitute in the other chemistry (health chemistry) in for gen chm. Wonderful! So, I wasted taking 3 courses plus 3 labs that I have to basically re-take. Then, once all my courses are done, I have to student teach for a semester. So, I'm also behind at least another semester. When the summer schedule comes available, check it to see if any are offered that you can take. Yes, they are expensive, hard and tedious, but you'll get down faster. Also, depending on how many credits you have, you may be able to take courses at your local community college and transfer them over. I'm not 100% sure how that works, but it is worth checking in to. Good luck!

I can honestly tell you that school counselors do that ALLLLLL the stinking time! Happened to my son too. He was told one class met a requirement and then said, Oh I was wrong. Waste of time, waste of scholarship money. GRRRR

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I feel a lot better now that I've had some time to think things through without feeling like it was the end of the world!

I'm going to speak to someone in academic advising, but I think I'll just take the classes over the summer. I don't think I'll get to walk at a graduation if I graduate in the summer and that's a bit of a bummer, but I'm sure I'll get over it. I might see if I can find three online course offered during the summer so I can save money and just do them from home. Otherwise I'll have to get an apartment to stay at while I take my classes.

I do have some friends who have to stay an extra semester for a mandatory zero or one credit course that wasn't offered when they needed it. I think that is ridiculous and I'm glad that's not my case! However, just goes to show you how ridiculous some of the advisors are! I'm kind of mad at myself for not catching this earlier, but I don't know how I would have figured it out without someone pointing it out to me!

Ah well, life goes on!

Back
Top Bottom