ok, humor me.....another question from the obsessed 1st time candler

Kelly FG

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Ridge
so when you candle & you see the dark side vs the air side, when you move the egg should the air sak shift much, in other words does the dark part move around much if you don't see the actual chick moving?
like liquid sliding around?

Be careful twisting the egg around, Kel. You can damage that delicate blood vessel network just trying to see into the egg. It's easy to do the first seven to ten days, especially.

Last edited:
well my DH doesn't think we've got a chick in there, I'm hoping we do but I don't see any kicking or moving, just stuff sliding around & there really is only one area that looks vein-y. The rest looks like plain shell.
we've got 7 days to go, I guess I'll just have to be patient, I just really don't want an explosion if its bad
barnie.gif

Quote:
Dear husband.

I just candled my eggs as well - first time hatcher here hello- and I'm kinda disappointed because out of like 23 eggs, only 8 of them for sure have baby ducks in them. I am hoping that over the next two days - some of them are only on day 5 - a few others will step up as well. How long should I give them? Day 10? I've already thrown out 2 that I knew were completely bad - but I've got the suspect eggs lined on at the bottom of the tray, there are 6 maybes and 6 not likelys.

idunno.gif

So in my craziness to get to the bottom of this egg I found this online
http://www.the-coop.org/wwwboard/discus/messages/1/5853.html

it pretty much describes my egg exactly....so maybe the egg is good
hu.gif

I need to prepare to purchase a couple of day old chicks to go with this baby for next wednesday, but if the egg isn't any good I don't want to get more babies right now.
I'd rather try letting my next broody(probably Penny the EE) hatch out some chicks. I'm already one chicken over our town code before I hatch babies so I've got to plan carefully.
I sure wish I knew how to get my camera to take a pic that shows what I see!!!!
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom