Ok i know it's not a chicken, Help! I hit a wild bird with my car....!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Aug 2, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Ok so we were just coming home from walmart and a small bird flew in front of my car. I stopped cause I knew that I had hit it (i had no time to react) found the bird still breathing along the side of the road. So I picked it up and brought it home. I have it in a small cat carrier right now with a towel over it. I had a Quail waterer so I filled that up and just put a pinch of the electrolyte/vitamin powder in. Does anyone know of any thing else that I should or can do for the bird?
    Please help I feel so bad about hitting it.
    Thanks,
    Mollie

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Does any one know how many tail feathers a bird needs to fly? The bird that I hit lost most of them in my grill (found them when we got home).

3. Halion

Halion Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Try feeding it mealworms. The next thing you can do is try to find a local sanctuary or wild bird rehabber.

4. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Ok I will look for someone who knows better what to do for it. I just felt sooo bad and could not leave it there on the side of the road. Hopefully it can make a full recovery [​IMG] with a person who has the right experience. I def. do not.

5. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Got the bird to our local Bird Rescue Center. It was what I thought it was a Cat bird. They said it has internal bleeding which was to be expected knowing it was hit by a car. They will send me an e-mail letting me know what happens to it. [​IMG] Hang in there little bird. [​IMG]

6. massagechick

massagechick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    I hope she does ok. Sometimes there is not much you can do. Good job taking it to a rescue center!

7. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] Kudos to you, for taking extra actions to help it! Can't wait to hear what the RC says about it!

8. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Hello, I'm still waiting on the bird refuge to get back to me. I did just send them an e-mail so hopefully I will know if the little bird made it or not. As soon asa I know I will post it.
    Mollie

9. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    anything [​IMG]

10. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    [​IMG] Me too! I hven't heard yet. I hope they check their e-mails often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by