Ok. I'm a weird chicken keeper.

dunnmom

Crowing
Mar 30, 2016
Oklahoma
After being on BYC for over 2 years, I've come to the conclusion that I'm a weird chicken keeper. I do so many things differently than a lot of you.

A lot of the way I keep my girls comes from my childhood. I was raised around indoor birds, and a lot of them. Parrots, parakeets, cockatiels, cockatoos, macaws, finches, etc. I regard my chickens as pets, and having outdoor birds is so different, yet in many ways not so different.

It is every bit as rewarding!

No, I don't keep them inside. It's just that I tend to fuss over them the way I would over indoor birds. I clean their coop almost as often as I would clean a bird cage, and a few other quirks. It's hard to break that habit of wanting to keep everything clean and efficient all of the time.
I like to clean often too!
Not weird at all.
;)

Does this mean I don't need to be embarrassed to tell people that I have three roosters in my back room? Or that one of them wears a diaper and gets along just fine with the cats? Or that they go out for walks or to visit classrooms on leashes? I have "outside chickens," too. Does that redeem me ... even just a little? (giggle, giggle ... buh-bawk!)

Back
Top Bottom