Ok.. so I'm not buying the whole.... Updated with pics...breeding hens

Quote:
Hey back attcha Rusty.......................

Yeah your right about the pin feathers color, Just remember that your cornish roosters will mature slower, and try to keep him a little on the lean side for fertility and vitality reasons. These standard Cornish roosters need to have a warm sun on their backs, they do breed better that way. I would put them together now so they can get cozy with each other faster, then come spring start checking fertility.

AL

A lofty goal I know and with many pitfalls, but as the OP stated with his thoughts on breeding Crosses to each other shows he is thinking and challenging the old school of thought that there is only one way to do things. I am of the same mind of why not do something different, why not try it.

Why fix it... if it's not broke?

The meat part of these lines are already there... right in front of each and one of us. However like you said, it's not easy... but the hybrid is very sustainable if your willing to work with it.

You know what though... if people didn't ask questions... and didn't try to do what your doing... we wouldn't have a very good selection of breeds no would we? So all due respects.... I hope you keep us informed with your project.​

Quote:
Even with those crosses you should get all white birds. The white feathering is dominate so it should work out.

Rustyswoman, if you aren't bothered by the pigment left behind when you pluck a darker bird, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about it. I'm using Dark Cornish in my experiments, because I don't care about the pigment spots.

IMO, if you have white birds you just end up eating pin feathers, because they're harder to see, to get them all out!

My main plucking issue, is that I haven't built a plucker yet. Plucking's the time-eater in my processing. The rest, I've finally gotten a lot quicker with.

So, when you breed your DC's to your WR's I wanna see pics of the results!

Last edited:
What I don't know... won't kill me!

Don't tell me there is pin feathers on my birds... what???
th.gif

Quote:
Why fix it... if it's not broke?

The meat part of these lines are already there... right in front of each and one of us. However like you said, it's not easy... but the hybrid is very sustainable if your willing to work with it.

You know what though... if people didn't ask questions... and didn't try to do what your doing... we wouldn't have a very good selection of breeds no would we? So all due respects.... I hope you keep us informed with your project.

Yeah with the crosses the recipe is allready there, and I also think vigor could be maintained, by at least keeping some good parent stock to start with and every now and then re infuse some of the same blood back into line until it stablizes.

AL

Quote:
Hey back attcha Rusty.......................

Yeah your right about the pin feathers color, Just remember that your cornish roosters will mature slower, and try to keep him a little on the lean side for fertility and vitality reasons. These standard Cornish roosters need to have a warm sun on their backs, they do breed better that way. I would put them together now so they can get cozy with each other faster, then come spring start checking fertility.

AL

I actually have everyone together who isn't breedable yet. All the mature roos have their own pen but the DC get to free range with the girls everyday. I only have two roos so here is hoping! All of a sudden I can see them putting on weight. I thought I got stuck with runty birds. And they do love the sun you're right but they are so cold hardy too. Tough birds altogether!
I'm excited for your meat project. You are putting alot of time, effort and $ into it. It is going to be great!

Well I kept back 5 really good hens from the last batch I did. I picked the fastest growing ones... the ones that matured quickest. They were 9 lbs before the diet.... know they are down to 7 lbs. I would like to see them around 6 lbs before they start laying but that's pushing it. These poor girls act like they are starving.... so ladies... but your on the low carb diet LOL..

I'm going to cross a buckeye roo with them to see what they will throw, but I have a cornish roo growing that is about 9 weeks younger then them. I will try to take some pics of them tomorrow.

Jeff : In your efforts to cross the crosses LOL, I think it is important to watch the diet of your breeders as you have already figured, the genetics are already there the trick being keeping them long enough and of good conditioning to breed.

AL

We posted at the same time... LOL... I've them on a strict diet now. They lost 2 lbs in the last 4 weeks so I'm getting EGGcited!

Back
Top Bottom