OK what the heck is this funky rooster dance?

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I've noticed our 16.5 week old roo doing this thing where he fluffs his feathers just a little and puts his head down and takes little tiny steps in the same place over and over. It seems to intimidate the pullets and they move away from him when he does it but he doesn't seem to do anything else while I'm in there. It's kinda cute but a little weird. I threw some pellets on the ground today where there was just him and a couple of girls (the rest were gobbing up pellets on the other side of the run) and he did it and the girls backed away. It was like he wanted to hog the pellets.
roll.png
I know he's at a very hormonal age and probably will be a feathered nightmare for a few weeks.

btw he never comes at me or dh so far-he does 'chase' the dog while she's on the other side of the run fence. The kids don't go in the run much-they just look at everyone from outside the run.

He's practicing his 'wing dance'. Soon the wing will be out to the side, head down, and little shuffle around the girls......just to show how truly irresistible he is.

Here is Mort in full 'dance mode'

IMG_2437.JPG

Hopefully as he matures he will offer the treats to the girls rather than hog them. (Or maybe they had an inkling of his motives and just kept away!)

You are quite right, he will become a thorough adolescent nuisance for a few months before he learns some manners.

Back
Top Bottom