Jul 28, 2022
South Australia
So my questions are this:

1: why Is my cockerel (6 months old) pecking the back of (only) one of my pullet’s head & back?
2: when will he calm down?
3: can I get him cartrated? If so, will it kill him?
4: what can I give to my pullet & cockerel flock as a treat every now & then
5: my ??? X light sussex is growing wattles. Will she lay eggs soon?
6: what’s the difference between light Sussex’s & white Sussex’s?

I hope I can get some answers XD

1: why Is my cockerel (6 months old) pecking the back of (only) one of my pullet’s head & back?
2: when will he calm down?
3: can I get him cartrated? If so, will it kill him?
He wants to mate her.
Is the female the one with the "growing wattles"?

Maybe. They can be pretty rambunctious. If he is constantly after her and stressing her way out, might need to remove the male from the equation.

Male chickens can be caponized(testicles removed), but it needs to happen at about 6-8 weeks old.

I'm not sure about 1 and 2, 3 I don't think so, only when they are younger then something like 2 months. 4 cooked eggs are a favourite as are sunflower seeds, but keep them in moderation. 5 probably, but might still be a few weeks, as they can develop a bit, and then stop before growing some more. 6 Light Sussex have black on the neck and tail, whereas White Sussex are all white.:)

I'm not sure about 1 and 2, 3 I don't think so, only when they are younger then something like 2 months. 4 cooked eggs are a favourite as are sunflower seeds, but keep them in moderation. 5 probably, but might still be a few weeks, as they can develop a bit, and then stop before growing some more. 6 Light Sussex have black on the neck and tail, whereas White Sussex are all white.:)
Thank you :)

Yeah I think castrating him will not be an option XD he’s six months old :p and no, it’s our maybe EE Loona.

Attachments

• 3DD0856B-AD0A-41DE-B4DB-79143E84A861.jpeg
    3DD0856B-AD0A-41DE-B4DB-79143E84A861.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 0592FEF8-14D0-44C7-A06D-C03F9F84DDC5.jpeg
    0592FEF8-14D0-44C7-A06D-C03F9F84DDC5.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom