Okay so tell me again why I shouldn't get Java

Quote:
I have IB that have live 20 + years. most peafowl live past 15 years.......except the charcoals.

Why don't the charcoal live that long?

Charcoal have a few problems, no one is sure why. like charcoal hen don't normal lay , and 10 year year old is old for charcoals.

The other colors should live up to 20 years

k.cebula32 :

I'm not sure why they tend to be more aggressive towards males....we've raised thousands of birds over the years and it seemed that peacock, swans and turkey males all tend to be the most aggressive of all the species..I think it probably has to be some sort of territorial instinct within the males...like dogs! Except for when the hens have nests, then there is aggression but that's really it..

as far as charcoals not living as long, I'm not sure! We always had a bit of a struggle with our white peacocks living a long time but they seem to be pretty flighty like the javas as well.

Swans are by far the most aggresive, my Uncle owns a bird farm and his swans always attacked us while the females just sat in the water. Even if the female wasn't laying eggs, he would still attack.
OK so Green peafowl don't do good in heat?​

Quote:
Why don't the charcoal live that long?

Charcoal have a few problems, no one is sure why. like charcoal hen don't normal lay , and 10 year year old is old for charcoals.

The other colors should live up to 20 years

Oh, I knew about the hens not laying, but not them having a shorter lifespan

if you raise swans from babies they are not near as agressive..we had about 5 pair of black swans and they were all like lap dogs..if the female has a nest then yes, the male will be pretty agressive..but even when ours were nesting, they only really had a problem with my dad and brother. My momcould go right up the nests no problem

k.cebula32 :

if you raise swans from babies they are not near as agressive..we had about 5 pair of black swans and they were all like lap dogs..if the female has a nest then yes, the male will be pretty agressive..but even when ours were nesting, they only really had a problem with my dad and brother. My momcould go right up the nests no problem

Really? He had baby swans that he hatched, they were in his brooder, I haven't been able to go out there and see them they are 2-3 year old adults now. But the older swans he had he rescued a few and some came to the foundation. Alls I rember is they would flap their wings and he would stick his boot in the air and they would attack his boot.​

well, I do know that trumpeter swans are usually the most agressive, and mute swans too..Our black swans were like lap dogs..they would follow my mom around everywhere!

It's not uncommon for Javas to be either aggressive or 'wild'-fearful, pace the wire furthest from you and freak out bad when there are visitors. I'd say many are just a little more aloof than Indias, willing to come up, at least for familiar persons and maybe becoming more aloof with strangers around. Some can be really tame though. I don't raise any of my chicks very closely due to being allergic to bird dander. Mostly stand back and admire them as a result. That said, out of a clutch of 5 chicks, typically there will be one that wants nothing to do with me from almost day one, 2 "can tolerate me" very much lookee but no touchee, one fairly tame, willingly approaching me especially if I have food or treats, and one very tame, running up to and following me around like a puppy dog and refuse to get out of my way(but awful easy to teach tricks & charming...). I see all personalities any way they are raised- brooder, hen or peahen raised, however with the brooder raised groups, the 'very tame' ones are much more tame than those raised by hens. My friends who do the hatching for me now(again due to bird dander allergy) plays and handles the chicks a lot, most of the Java(and spalding) chicks started by them are tame to very very tame- walk up your arm as soon as you open the brooder.

Many feel they cannot be let loose at all, or too expensive to risk it. I've let some be raised free range, they stayed around but they did wander much farther than any of the Indias did.. had to put a stop to it when they started to spend parts of their days in neighbor's yards.... Had one breeder male somehow get out of his pen.. tried to herd him back in, normally I don't even try to, but he was already on far side of neighbor's yard and was never free range at all so I got worried enough to try herding him back towards my yard. Big mistake as he of course flew off in the opposite direction, way high up and far, far away.... He came back though, all I did this time was open a pen door, he walked right back in. Whew.....

Spaldings are a much better bet, if you have concerns about cold or you intend to let them loose and you're not on many acres... Keep in mind, due to the mix, some of the "Java problems" can show up in spaldings too.. some are just as shy/nervous, some can become aggressive. Not all though, none of my spaldings have ever tried to attack me even though some are so high percentage green blood they look very 'Java'. I've had and met very sweet/tame spaldings in both sexes.

One more con, is both Javas and mid-high range males can become fighters, not really tolerating other males well. They're always the bosses in mixed groups with Indias.

Steve
The biggest problem with javas and high percentage greens in cold weather is keeping there feet from getting frost bite. I know there several breeders in N Carolina that keep javas with little problems as long as they have a place to protect them from the cold wind and snow. I been raising javas and high percentage greens for years and never had a problem but we normaly have mild winters the last 2 years we have had bad winters with alot of snow and tem in the lower teens and so far they have done fine but I still worry about them when it get that cold. A friend of mine lost a breeder java male last winter with frost bite on his feet it got where he could not walk and he put it down. If you are going to get high precentage spalding 15/16 or 31/32 they be the same as pure javas in cold weather.
Doug

Back
Top Bottom