***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Anyone have some good ideas of what to do with a bunch of green tomatoes? Hate to let them go to waste as it is suppose to maybe freeze soon, don't think that they will ripen before the warmer weather plays out.
79922_october_28th_2011_tomatoes.jpg

Quote:
Yes sorry your birds are not in good condition right now I notted mime out early this year and some are stuning can't wait see ya latter this evning

Joe, what does that mean? Do you pull their feathers to get them to grow more?
This Blue Silkie (who transgendered into a male after I got him) is just molting and he feels like a pin cushion all over his entire body. That can NOT feel good.
And chickens molt twice a year?? Or once? I can't imagine how awful that must feel to go through.

I change my feeding program to boring them into mot early but because show season is long you whant to have diferant birds in the best at diferant times unless you only going to one show l

LOL, bought some of the game no till food plot seeds last month, threw them out on the ground like the directions said about the middle of September. Then ended up running the tiller lightly over them because they did not germinate as well as I thought they should have, watered them a couple of times, and they took off. Planted them in between the garden rows, was pleased with the reults, so planted a second area at the end of September and have been letting the poultry free range on an area for a week, then letting them free range the second area for a week so the 1st area can recover. It has greatly cut down on buying bags of feed.Each bag of seed cost about $15.00, and the birds love it. I was not sure if the turnip seeds would start to make with the birds grazing it, but when I was looking this morning at it there are loads of turnips making. Guess it will be a good cover crop for the garden also Still those birds are eating the tomatoes and melons that have started to produce after the rain and cooler weather. It still looks good even after having 35 or so birds on it.

Quote:
Quote:
Ah-ha. I never realized their bodies were so easily manipulated!
Quote:
Chicken Larry had a warm bath and a blow-dry 3 days ago for it lmao! (What a coincidence, I don't spoil mine either
big_smile.png
)
I've discovered I really enjoy bathing chickens. They're so still and sweet in the bathtub and then after they get blow dried and you hold them they make that darling little chattering noise. I love it.

Quote:
How long did you restrict the birds from the area??-- never mind I see you posted in your 2nd post. I think I could move some birds around next yr, plant something inside the runs for winter & let them back in...... Imagine they would eat it all within a wk! Let us know how long it last @ your place

Last edited:
Quote:
Last yr in November I picked @ least a 5 gal bucket worth & set them on the window edge in the kitchen. They all slowly ripened. Also heard of people pulling the whole plant & hanging it upside down in the garage & they will ripen.

Could make chow chow or fried green tomatoes. Seen people bread the tomatoes & freeze them so they can have fried green tomatoes all winter long.

Quote:
Now why do automatically assume its Carl?.... LOL.

It was Carl now its me but soon carl will take it again.

Im going to assume his birthday was fine. I forgot all about it(I was a bad wife this year). I keppt thinking it was the 25th all day that day so it never dawned on me I had the date wrong.

LOL, I am getting better at figuring out who is behind the name! Looking forward to the weekend????

Does anyone have Royal Palm turkeys as pets? It seems I've got 2 males & 1 female (I was SO hoping for 2 girls and a boy). So I might need to find a home for the female or 1 of the males. I would think the males would do fine together without a female around. I don't want her/him to go somewhere that they're going to end up as dinner though. I thought maybe if someone needed an extra female or an extra male that might be an answer. They've been in their own area and are super healthy and been wormed, etc. They're 17 wks old, pretty big. Otherwise I can pen the boys and let the girl live with the chickens. Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom