***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Buckguy20, May 9, 2011.

1. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Well thank God for the cookie tin heaters! No frozen water! What a relief. The Modern pair even have a 12" tall "popcorn tin heater" (June's idea) that has a bulb in it. They curl up all cozy on top of it. Jan, I'm glad you're happy about your chickens and I wish you the best but I wouldn't have risked it, I'd have been WAY too scared the city would make me get rid of them again. That'd be so hard for your husband to deal with again. I'm not a risk-taker at all.
    Robin, I don't know about your hen. It cerainly *could be kidney failure but I'd be wondering about some sort of bacteria (like e. Coli) causing all the seemingly unrelated deaths. E. coli causes respiratory disease in their air sacs or sudden death, brown pudding looking diarrhea and also causes organ failure, several different things. It's one of the most common illnesses yet causes so many different symtoms that people don't connect the dots. They just chalk it up to "she just died out of the blue". We may never find out why our birds die, but they didn't just die out of the blue, there was a reason.
    I've been saving money in an envelope for months to get my 2 Ringneck Dove girls this cage. It was on Ebay for $120 I love it! It's really heavy, the cage area is 32"x 20" x 36" tall and sits on a shelf thing with wheels on it. I can't believe how heavy and strong it is. I've had the 1 Dove for 6 1/2 yrs, she's earned a nice cage after all that time. Once it gets warm I'm making them a covered area outside. Channing (my Serama) is going to share their area when it's nice out
    [​IMG]

2. poultryand bees

poultryand bees ~Drives a Magic Poultry Van~

Feb 4, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Very nice looking equipment [​IMG]
    When I am assembling frames, I like to use a pneumatic staple gun. They REALLY go together fast with one of those. One of the nice things about wooden frames is that the bees really like them, particularly if you use wax foundation instead of plastic. Commercial beekeepers tend to use plastic frames/foundation because they are faster, but if you have a box with a mixture of wooden/plastic frames, it has been my experience that the bees draw out the wooden frames with real wax foundation before they will touch the plastic frames/foundation.

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Poco, those are far too pretty to be used for bee boxes!

4. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma

Cowboy, it depends on whether I get the job and how long it takes me to buy another farm. But if we don't take them, you will be one of the first to know.

5. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    P&b, I did go to the auction for a little bit tonight, went late in hopes of missing all the junk sakes, but arrived in time for the junk but missed the eggs and chicks which sound like they went extra cheap. There is so much miscellaneous stuff at the sale that for me I probably wont go back often, especially after going to the Newcastle one last week which was all chicken, clean and had good food. Prices were higher but worth it for me.

6. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11 years in and finally earned my stork pin tonight, a pink one.

7. old*cowboy

old*cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    arapaho, okla.
    Congrates, was it a boy or girl

8. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Little girl, all her fingers and toes were acounted for.

9. janbcoo1

janbcoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    NE Oklahoma City
    Thank you all for your support. You are such a great bunch of "just plain good folks" that it makes me proud to be "here" with you all. We'll be putting together our strategy in the next few weeks and we'd be grateful if we could ask some of you all for letters (testimonials) of how life with chickens is improving a state of health, or mind, or learning, or attitude, etc. We definitely will get letters from his doctors as just yesterday his cardiologist agreed to have the oxygen paraphenalia removed because DH's depression had bettered because knew we were going to be at the auction tonight! (It was pretty much a buyers' auction tonight, by the way.) Thank you all again. Such love knoweth no man better than the chicken man! [​IMG]

10. michaeldaugherty

michaeldaugherty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Dont get to post or read any more just dont hav time ..Just got in from the auction at Blanchard an some stuf went HI!! some silky roo's went for 20 something each the lady thot they wer females she said because they calld thim show girl's.. I told her that was the name of the breed..The best part of the sale was seeing all the BYcers an talking with thim Nocity Okracefan Musky Jacat an lot's an lots more..Nocity sorry about the bird's you wer wonting going so HI...Hope to have time to get back on soon mis reading all you peep's great story's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by