***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Buckguy20, May 9, 2011.

1. dmedlin

dmedlin New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Thank you for that - she is the one that lays the light blue egg. The others were kinda camera shy. I think that I have some better pictures somewhere that my wife took.

2. upcdayz

upcdayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Oklahoma

You are right, they don't like cold. It's (according to what I've read about it) an ornamental variety of eggplant. It will definitely be a house plant. I just thought it was cool because of the egg-shaped fruit.

BTW, congrats on your stork pin! How exciting!

3. upcdayz

upcdayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Oklahoma
    dmedlin - the second one from the left looks like a red sex link. I have two of those and they lay lots of nice, big brown eggs. Can't tell about the other two on the right. If your chickens are like mine, they don't always like to pose for the camera. Most of the pics I have show their fluffy end.

4. dmedlin

dmedlin New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    Coweta, OK

thank you - yes they are camera shy - I do get a lot of big brown eggs. I normally get four or five eggs a day from the five ladies.

5. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Dmedlin, in the picture it looks like an Easter Egger (they lay colored eggs, 2 Red SexLinks/Red Stars and a Black Star. All are super friendly chickens and great layers.

6. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Does your black chicken look like this? This is the Black Star I got from someone on here. She's the sweetest thing. It had taken me FOREVER to post this! Wonder what's wrong with the forum tonight?
    [​IMG]

7. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I've been researching pressure canning vs hot water bath canning tonight. My step mother kept telling me to just do water bath that her mom and gmom did it that way for all thier lives w/o any problems. After researching I think I've decided to do the pressure canning, I can't speak to the food safety issues the deciding factor for me was the time. For instance if you are going to can green beans in water bath you have to add vinegar and process for 3 hrs, but w/ a pressure canner no need to add anything but water and process time was 25 minutes.

8. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Mine love the camera, especially Oreo my only boy he is such a camera hogg! I have the 1,000 or so pics to prove it!!!! [​IMG]

9. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    this is traveler, my black sex link- and very friendly and curious

[​IMG]

10. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Kass I love pressure canning!!!! Beef stew comes out amazing. Meat is so tender. I know many can old tough birds. Saves freezer space if you an fit it in a jar. Once I tried pressure canning I realized there is nothing to be afraid of!

School is officially closed tomorrow! Means a day of playing in the snow watching movies & cleaning house. I do miss my kids being home-schooled we use to have so much free time! My girls think hanging out w friends at school is more fun than being w mom. So guess I will enjoy the snow day w them-- even though oldest DD thinks playing in the snow is lame-- what teenage girl would be caught playing with her family in the snow? Grandma gave the girls new sleds for Christmas since we have so many hills around our place. If the snow hangs around until sunup I am sure both girls will try out the sleds-- even if sleds are for little kids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by