***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Oh those cochin babies are adorable!!! So much cuter than the guinea keets we just kicked out of the house yesterday, lol.

Christina, the market is why my house in town is still not up for sale. We did have someone call us last weekend and want to buy it BUT they want us to carry the note, they have no $ to put down and they only want to offer 25,000! I wouldn't even take $25,000 as a cash offer, lol. It is a crazy market right now. I would just hang on and pay cash for your build. I really wish we could have paid cash for our house we are in now. Of course if the market ever comes back up and we sell the house in town we can almost pay our place off. Just hang in there it will get better.

On lactose with birds, I have given ours yogurt in small amounts when giving antibiotics but we stopped (now just offer some probiotic powder sprinkled on their food). It just doesn't seem right to give an animal milk from a mammal when birds do not nurse, they don't have the systems to break down milk protiens. That is like humans and cows milk. You hear about "lactose intollerance" but in reality cows milk is hard on your stomach, it may take YEARS for it to affect you but it can cause all sorts of problems for your gut and somache. That is why when parents have issues with baby formula making baby spit up or constipated I have to explain to them that cows have multiple chambers to their stomachs so they can break down the protien in the cows milk but humans are not made that way. Goats milk is the closest you can get to human milk really. I could go on and on, with this topic, haha.
Seems that chimpanzee milk would be a heck of a lot closer, not that it can be obtained. . .

My thinking on chickens and milk is the wild ansestors had absolutely no access to mamal milk and so at the very least have have no way to utilize it fully. However our chickens today are no where near the "wild original" chicken ansestors and while still have no natural access to milk or milk products, they have been fed the exess milk on farms for centuries w/o ill effects. I have no cheap way of getting milk, so my chickens don't get milk products as a rule, if I had cheap or free access to it I would likely at least try them out on it.

Oh my goodness how BYC has changed!!! Took me forever just to figure out how to find our Okie thread! Are all my old BYC Okie originals still around??? I don't even recognize so many of the posters' names now. =(

I've started posting my Oklahoma photography, and came across the last POOPS that I attended. Wow that was forever ago! Anyway, hope everyone is doing well! I miss the world of the BYC!

Here's a link to my photos. Come "like" my Facebook page! =D
http://www.facebook.com/OklahomaRainPhotos
http://www.etsy.com/shop/OklahomaRa
I am still around but I can't keep up since I am not at my computer that much. I spend all of my time trying to catch up.
Good to hear from you and "Grace's Dad" Not a whole lot of the originals around anymore but there are a few.POOPS is usually around the first weekend of May so plan to come next time.

I know we will be better off building with cash.... We just need patience to keep us on track. We came close to straying to order a modular home, but the numbers just didn't work. It was going to cost almost the same as a stick build.
Think we may be looking at building a house that our kids may never live in..... Oh a nice quiet clean house. That does sound good!

If want a "kid-less" house do what we did, buy or build you a storage building and convert it. Ours was only $5700 for the building, might 10K in it now.

Seasons 1-6 of Dr Who are available to stream for free with our Amazon Prime.
I gotta ask....is this something I want to get addicted to?
And is it as good as Justified?

Poco, Reba lays a white egg, that suprised me, I thought she would lay brown. The black NN girls all lay brown.
I'm attempting to catch up on the thread. Kass - White? Are your sure? Of course you're sure. That's a surprise to me too. I'm getting tan eggs from a blue NN pullet. The first few eggs were tiny, but now they are bigger than any of the eggs from my mature hens.

I'm attempting to catch up on the thread. Kass - White? Are your sure? Of course you're sure. That's a surprise to me too. I'm getting tan eggs from a blue NN pullet. The first few eggs were tiny, but now they are bigger than any of the eggs from my mature hens.
Totally shocked the way out of me too. I was expecting brown. Gary said he saw the nest was empty, she sat in it and when she got up there was a white egg.

Here's some chicken humor for you
lol.png

Was shopping on etsy today & saw a coaster set with dr who theme. I have never watched it or heard of it until BYC.

We do have a storage building that we had to move half our stuff in when we down sized to move to the farm-- we lost over 1500sq ft when we moved last spring. Plan to buy another one of those storage buildings soon & install a Cool bot inside for next garden season. I miss my whirlpool tub & large kitchen. We are going to tough it out in the single wide for a bit longer. DH always offers to move me back into town back to our big house, but life on the farm makes up for what we are missing in sq footage.

Took some pics of the leghorns tonight. Will try to post them later this wk when I @ my desk. They look much better, but still wouldn't win a beauty contest!

Back
Top Bottom