***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I've often had some early hatch. Also have had no problems with broodies taking chicks that were several days old. Just slip them under the hen when you pull out the eggs that don't hatch. The chicks adjust quickly to the momma too.

The fusion blanket is all together, crocheted sashing is complete, border is started but not finished yet.

I rotated these pics before uploading them but they didn't stay rotated?

T
kass, sometimes you do have late bloomers, i generally give them a few days extra- just in case anyone needing some drakes? I have 3 black sweedish boys, need to find homes for- they are running the girls ragged, one of the pekins is limping, so figure i need to rehome them- i can bring them to the get together in a few weeks if there is interest
Those are pretty!

I am horrible w/ chicken disease, being shipped is very stressfull especially to bigger birds I wouldn't know if it is just stress reaction, latent illness coming out b/c of stress, or actual new onset illness?  Purly my gut reaction would be a latent condition she has that is brought out under stress.

I emailed B & D and this is the response:

"We're happy that your girls arrived! We fully vaccinate our birds and send only healthy ones. We've heard about this happening and we think the stress of the trip affects some birds worse than others. Shipping brings down the immune system and causes them to react almost like a cold. It will heal up in a week. Just add 1/4th cup of Braggs organic apple cider vinegar to the water and some ground up garlic cloves. This should help. Also the saw dust doesn't help them breathing it in for all those hours. We've lost so many birds due to the post office not being gentle transporting our birds. Keep us posted on how they're doing and if you have any questions feel free to ask us."

I did have just the one in quarantine, but I decided I would try this. Also, because they all came from the same place and had been together on a flight (in shipment,) I was told if she really is sick; if one has it, they probably all do.

The nasal discharge was gone yesterday, from what I could tell.

I emailed B & D and this is the response:

"We're happy that your girls arrived! We fully vaccinate our birds and send only healthy ones. We've heard about this happening and we think the stress of the trip affects some birds worse than others. Shipping brings down the immune system and causes them to react almost like a cold. It will heal up in a week. Just add 1/4th cup of Braggs organic apple cider vinegar to the water and some ground up garlic cloves. This should help. Also the saw dust doesn't help them breathing it in for all those hours. We've lost so many birds due to the post office not being gentle transporting our birds. Keep us posted on how they're doing and if you have any questions feel free to ask us."

I did have just the one in quarantine, but I decided I would try this. Also, because they all came from the same place and had been together on a flight (in shipment,) I was told if she really is sick; if one has it, they probably all do.

The nasal discharge was gone yesterday, from what I could tell.
Awesome so it seems just shipping stress.

These two ladies (power of positive thinking) weren't suppose to hatch until Tues, yet here they are this morning, they hatched last night, in a hurry to see the world. There is one more in the bator, she just hatched though and was still wet. 16 more eggs to go.

Back
Top Bottom