***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Since today was so nice I put the Marans I got at the Shawnee show out in the chicken tractor. This is first time they have been outside since I brought them home Dec 14. They are Oct 2013 hatch. Should I leave them out with the upcoming below freezing temps or bring back into house till we have steady nights above freezing?

Since today was so nice I put the Marans I got at the Shawnee show out in the chicken tractor. This is first time they have been outside since I brought them home Dec 14. They are Oct 2013 hatch. Should I leave them out with the upcoming below freezing temps or bring back into house till we have steady nights above freezing?
I am no expert but I would bring them in. I am sure they are feathered out but it still might be too much for such young birds. Good luck

Quote: Oh, they most definitelt like being in a "pack"; I know that Suka is very social. However, she's extremely territorial when I go to the park, often putting herself between me and other people/dogs. I'm working on training her out of that, because it poses more of a problem, since I don't need a bodyguard.
lol.png

Oh my gosh, log day at work, today. I work weekends with a local animal rescue. And today... I will put it this way, today was the busiest I've ever seen it.
th.gif

As soon as I arrive, the first thing I am told to do is run a foster to the groomer's in Petsmart. But the dog is late for his appointment, so I'm running to make it, and when I arrive I wasn't told what they wanted done, so I didn't know what to tell the groomer.
roll.png
So I ran back and asked the dog's foster what she wanted done, but as it turned out there was a change of plans and some people wanted to meet the dog.

Well he's adopted and as soon as the paperwork is done I need to go fax and copy it.
th.gif
Sooo, I run to the copy machine, copy, run back so that they aren't waiting on me. Next thing I know, I need to feed some of the shelter dogs who missed feedings. Sooo, I take them to the training room one. By. One. And wait for them to eat!
hmm.png

After that, I basically ran circles helping with paperwork and faxing and copying more paperwork. And then some of the bored dogs need exercise. So I exercised about 15 dogs--out of 23 adoptable dogs. Then someone needed help feeding the adoptable cats! When I finally catch a break, right after lunch, I am completely knocked out... and as a result... I fell asleep in my seat at work...
hide.gif

lol.png
Lucky for me, an associate woke me up after about a minute. So I am undeniably exhausted, my legs are sore, I am achy and sooo worn out. I probably fell asleep because I didn't get a cup of coffee.
duc.gif
(Yes, I drink coffee, and am made fun of for that. But I'm the local freak-girl anyways.
tongue.png
)

If they had been used to it they would be fine, but I would be concerned about the sudden change. If I were you think I'd be trying to harden them off so they could be outside.

Maybe leave them out for a few hours at a time each day, despite weather, but bring them inside, gradually leaving them outside longer and longer until finally you just leave them out. That's how I'd do it.
big_smile.png
And I've never lost any that way.

@Chickenfan4life it sounds like a busy day, but a very rewarding day! Thank you for all that you do to help those deserving animals find their forever home!

If they had been used to it they would be fine, but I would be concerned about the sudden change.  If I were you think I'd be trying to harden them off so they could be outside.

Well, they did come from Minnesota. I did some shuffling. Moved 3 juvies and a NN hen out the temp bantam pen and put the marans juvies in there. The pen is covered with a tarp and plastic sheeting and I put extra straw in. I put additional covering on west facing wall so all sides are covered now. I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best. They are a vigorous bunch.

This other set of juvies I have I start putting outside for a bit of time soon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom