***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Kass here is something to think about, Most of the Oriental Games have that naked strip from Keel to vent. I wonder if they are Nana? Or could there be a third combination? When you breed the Orientals to NNs the results are unique. You will get NNs with the Oriental body type, NNs, and birds that are fully feathered without the Oriental body type.

A lot of orientals have a pea comb, right??? Pea combs influence the amount of feathers in the presence of Na.

Isn't she pretty? Cream Legbar mom and Black Copper Marans daddy. She's a sexlink and I'm hoping for olive eggs! Some of these sexlinks are all black, and she is the most speckled, but most are in between.
She's lovely! Are they all crested? What do people think about not candling until day 18? Or is it technically 17 that lockdown starts? I'm pretty nervous about handling the eggs mainly because I cracked one while being super OCD about fitting it in perfectly. I didn't know how to assemble them in the incubator. I figured a tight fit between bars would be best because then they wouldn't be rolling around. But there are lots of different egg sizes and it took awhile to figure it out. I just hate the thought of taking them out and having to put them back in.

I was mostly using Malay which I believe have the Walnut type of comb. but the roos that I used always had the smallest comb possible. I was trying to breed the comb to be virtually non existant.

Morning guys- wanted to c

heck with you all, i have a pair of muskovy hens and 6 swedish ducklings to rehome, i'll get some pics, pm me if anyone is interested- this is the mama- the ducklings are nearly her size now, swedish

She's lovely! Are they all crested?

What do people think about not candling until day 18? Or is it technically 17 that lockdown starts? I'm pretty nervous about handling the eggs mainly because I cracked one while being super OCD about fitting it in perfectly. I didn't know how to assemble them in the incubator. I figured a tight fit between bars would be best because then they wouldn't be rolling around. But there are lots of different egg sizes and it took awhile to figure it out. I just hate the thought of taking them out and having to put them back in.

Like the smell of Sulpher? Nothing worse then an egg popping in the incubator. It can ruin a hatch also. Candle about halfway through and you should be fine. I don't take mine out of the racks for just a spot check on air sacks. and I candle from the bottom to check on progress.

Quote:
I make it a habit of taking a whiff of my incubator airvents daily, or at least every other day. You don't have to candle frequently, but at least smell them. I had an egg go bad in one of mine and I smelled it without even sniffing the airvents, because I keep the incubator in my bedroom, but I hadn't checked in a couple of days and as soon as I tossed that sucker in the garbage it exploded like a firecracker. Oh, and I took a piece of hard plastic I had (a cutout from a tub lid) and cut slots in it that would fit over the brinsea dividers. I take the dividers and make one end just one notch more narrow than the other end, so I can fit the eggs in, then slide the plastic to where I need to be. Rinda, that baby is soooo gorgeous! I need to post this pic of a couple of mine that are similar, but they're some of the EE/SFH mixes that turned out really pretty, and one of them looks like the twin sister of that one!

Last edited:
Oh, I can't believe I just now had this thought... facepalm moment!

On the dividers for the brinsea... cut slots in a piece of plastic that will fit over your dividers... you'd probably have to have several sizes, since you'll have to resize your divided areas dependent on egg size... on the ends that stick down into the lanes, cut notches that will fit through the holes in the tray and make them long enough that they won't just slip out. Voila! You won't have to make your lanes narrow to keep the plastic piece from moving.

She's lovely! Are they all crested?

What do people think about not candling until day 18? Or is it technically 17 that lockdown starts? I'm pretty nervous about handling the eggs mainly because I cracked one while being super OCD about fitting it in perfectly. I didn't know how to assemble them in the incubator. I figured a tight fit between bars would be best because then they wouldn't be rolling around. But there are lots of different egg sizes and it took awhile to figure it out. I just hate the thought of taking them out and having to put them back in.

I usually candle about day 10 to pull out clears and then again about day 17-18 when I'm moving into lockdown. You don't want a egg exploding in the bator! You will definitely smell one going off if you pass the bator daily.

Oh and I forgot to add, if the crack isn't too bad it can be sealed by gently rubbing a candle, unscented, over the crack.
X2 especially if done right away this can save the egg.

Like the smell of Sulpher? Nothing worse then an egg popping in the incubator. It can ruin a hatch also. Candle about halfway through and you should be fine. I don't take mine out of the racks for just a spot check on air sacks. and I candle from the bottom to check on progress.

OK, I wasn't sure if an egg exploding could happen so quickly. We had chickens many years ago we ended up rehoming and some 4 months later we had a surprise egg explode under our porch. Yuck!!!
sickbyc.gif
So, I thought maybe it wouldn't be a big deal to wait it out, but I guess at 99 degrees it can happen sooner rather than later.
Oh and I forgot to add, if the crack isn't too bad it can be sealed by gently rubbing a candle, unscented, over the crack.

Unfortunately it was a bad crack.
sad.png
I was pretty upset at myself.
Quote: Ok, so maybe once at day 10 or 14 and then not again until lockdown time? While sniffing the whole time?
smile.png
The incubator is in my bedroom so Im sure Ill smell it pretty fast.

Oh, I can't believe I just now had this thought... facepalm moment!

On the dividers for the brinsea... cut slots in a piece of plastic that will fit over your dividers... you'd probably have to have several sizes, since you'll have to resize your divided areas dependent on egg size... on the ends that stick down into the lanes, cut notches that will fit through the holes in the tray and make them long enough that they won't just slip out. Voila! You won't have to make your lanes narrow to keep the plastic piece from moving.
OHHHH thats brilliant! I get it! I will have some made for after candling. That just sounds so much better than squeezing everything in!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom